Neck Deep in Schiit: Gungir Balanced DAC and Mjolnir Balanced Amp Announced!
Apr 1, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #106 of 306

Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard

It's about maximum balanced performance at minimum price. Period.

Quote:
And that's what we love about Schitt. Bravo Jason!
biggrin.gif

When it comes to audio equipment....
I hate paying for stuff I neither want or need in a unit.
I hate frills and glitz.
Take the money I give you and use it for performance, not eye candy or trying to be all things to customers.
AFAIC......Just an 'ON' switch, Please.
Single goal, single purpose, simple choice.
How refreshing to have a company like Schiit and some one like Jason who listens and provides.
Thanks, Jason!

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #107 of 306
Wow, they're really expanding their Schiit
biggrin.gif

It's been a few years since they came into the market with Asgard and Valhalla and puns are still being made.

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #108 of 306
Yes, they are really pushing it out.

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #109 of 306
I do a lot of volume adjustments since with a SqueezeBox it is so easy to switch among tracks.  Reading between the lines from their product descriptions (minimalism), it seems my hope for their Statement DAC to have a digitally controlled analog volume control, with remote, might be highly unlikely ...
frown.gif

Though I suppose their Statement amp could have a remote-controlled volume, but that seems even more unlikely than on the DAC.

Apr 1, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #111 of 306
Speaking of names, is it just me or does Circlotron sound like:

A) a ride at Disneyland

B) the fiendish device the evil Doctor Merde will use to subdue the world unless Napoleon and Ilya can stop him in time

C) Bender's robot psychologist on Futurama

Speaking of features, I keep hoping for a balance control. But I fear Jason would consider that a frippery.

What I'd like to do is get the Mjolnir now, pass on the Gunjir (wasn't he the hero of a poem by Rudyard Kipling?) and get the statement DAC and tube version amp when they come out.

And hope that my family and friends aren't expecting Xmas gifts this year.

Oh, and Jason, could you make the tubes on the hybrid statement amp stick out further, please. Not only do a lot of us like to see the glass, but tube rolers will thank you.

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #112 of 306
To be honest, I find the "schitt" puns in bad taste, but hey whatever

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #113 of 306
[size=9pt]It’s only bad taste if you eat it.[/size]
[size=9pt]These guys have a sense of humor, or they would never have named their company as they did.[/size]
[size=9pt]For them Not to expect jokes to be made...........[/size]
[size=9pt]......well, the only thing distasteful would be bad jokes. [/size]

[size=9pt]jmho ymmv[/size]

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #114 of 306
2012 is going to be a fantastic year for headfier's!!!!!:)

Apr 2, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #115 of 306
Excuse me if I spoil the party, but I'd like to know, with regards to the Gungnir, what jitter-prone, bad sources is an "audiophile" shelling out $800 for a DAC realistically likely to encounter and require Adaptilock (trademark). It seems like a remedy for those least likely to need it, or a solution looking for a problem.  Satellite receivers??

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #116 of 306
The "Adapticlock" circuits which Schitt describes are not particularly unusual; this is even what common variety DVD players do, in order to handle a number of different sources.  But to get it to work well is difficult, usually requiring linking more than one VCO with different time constants.  One of the top people in that area is Igor Levia of Antelope Audio; they probably do some of the best clock distribution amplifiers and generators in the business.  But it's not cheap to do this well, so as a result, most DAC's in the sub $2K class go with an off the shelf SRC chip to deal with jitter and different sample rates- for example, the Benchmark DAC series converts everything incoming to 110 kHz sample rate, because this is the highest rate that the built in filers of the BB DAC's still have some reasonable computational power available; at higher rates, they have to simplify the filters.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #117 of 306

Quote:
The "Adapticlock" circuits which Schitt describes are not particularly unusual; this is even what common variety DVD players do, in order to handle a number of different sources. 

Wit VCXOs and VCOs? Nope. I think you're thinking about our bit perfect clock management, as in Bifrost (and Gungnir) that preserves the original sample rates.

But to get it to work well is difficult, usually requiring linking more than one VCO with different time constants.  One of the top people in that area is Igor Levia of Antelope Audio; they probably do some of the best clock distribution amplifiers and generators in the business.  But it's not cheap to do this well, so as a result, most DAC's in the sub $2K class go with an off the shelf SRC chip to deal with jitter and different sample rates- for example, the Benchmark DAC series converts everything incoming to 110 kHz sample rate, because this is the highest rate that the built in filers of the BB DAC's still have some reasonable computational power available; at higher rates, they have to simplify the filters.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 2, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #120 of 306
Schiit! The pressure got to me and ordered the Lyr and additional tubes from Jason this afternoon...I guess you'll get me again in June when the Hammer strikes or thereabouts.
confused_face_2.gif
 and 
atsmile.gif
 at the same time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back