Necessities for beginner DIY-er?
Feb 21, 2011 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ssavage

500+ Head-Fier
Hey there. I'm interested in DIY-ing. Specifically in cables like Cardas and such. I know for a beginner, Cardas and replacement cables for headphones are very expensive so I wanna start little and move up. I was thinking of starting at things like mini to mini and LODs so I was wondering what would I need to begin this new hobby? ex. extra hands?(not sure what they're called), a soldering iron, soldering, etc. 

I need materials to make these. Can anyone make a list for me? 
Thanks in advance

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 16
Subscribed. 
popcorn.gif

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 16
Don't forget a multimeter. Helping hands, soldering iron, and solder, like you mentioned. a selection of heatshrink would be good. Wire strippers and scissors are also helpful.

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 16
This question has been asked so many times. To help all new DIY'ers I will accumulate all of the answers from this and previous threads in an attempt to compile a comprehensive list of suggestions and links. Once the list is compiled I'll post in a separate thread to obtain any final comments. I think this list would be a good addition to the DIY Big List & Rules section.

A wonderful source of information can be found at one of our members website http://www.tangentsoft.net In particular I suggest reading and understanding the information provided at these links:
  1. "Getting Started in Audio DIY"
  2. "How to Buy a Multimeter"
  3. "Tangent Tutorials" - (Getting Started Soldering and Test Equipment sections) very helpful - MUST VIEW

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 16
In addition to what has already been said, I would add needlenose pliers and/or anti-esd tweezers. A nice soldering iron can make things a lot easier, I have used and like both the weller wes51 or Hakko 936 (although I think this may have been replaced by a newer model?). I also like 63-37 solder better than 60-40 (tin-lead ratio) because I find it hardens more quickly and flows a little better. Some flux, in pen or brush form can be very useful for SMDs. I also use it on through plated PCBs. A magnifying glass or jewelers loupe can be helpful for inspecting solder joints in close quarters. Angled wire cutters are also very helpful for work in crowded areas or odd angles. Finally, I prefer a small bench top clamp to extra hands. They are more stable and can grip larger items like PCBs better. That's all I can think of right now. Obviously you don't need all of this to get started, but everything I mentioned has been helpful to me at some point.

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 16
In audio there are very few tools you will be using as often as a soldering iron. 

I would suggest allocating a good chunk of your budget towards a decent soldering iron station, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-937-Digital-Soldering-Station/dp/B000I30QBW/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

A high quality iron like that one will last you for years and years. The variable temperature is good for both leaded and lead-free solders. It also has a couple of other handy items included with it that just make DIY life a little easier. 

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
In addition to what has already been said, I would add needlenose pliers and/or anti-esd tweezers. A nice soldering iron can make things a lot easier, I have used and like both the weller wes51 or Hakko 936 (although I think this may have been replaced by a newer model?). I also like 63-37 solder better than 60-40 (tin-lead ratio) because I find it hardens more quickly and flows a little better. Some flux, in pen or brush form can be very useful for SMDs. I also use it on through plated PCBs. A magnifying glass or jewelers loupe can be helpful for inspecting solder joints in close quarters. Angled wire cutters are also very helpful for work in crowded areas or odd angles. Finally, I prefer a small bench top clamp to extra hands. They are more stable and can grip larger items like PCBs better. That's all I can think of right now. Obviously you don't need all of this to get started, but everything I mentioned has been helpful to me at some point.

I agree on the soldering station. I use the Weller WESD51 as it has a digital temperature setting (useful to adjust the temperature for the solder melting point). I always use eutectic solder. See the discussion at http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/234601/what-kind-of-solder-do-you-use.

Feb 22, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #12 of 16
Band-aids and burn ointment.

Oh, and a fan that you can set a few feet away from you to *very* gently blow past you and take all the smoke away.

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #14 of 16
A heat-gun to shrink the heat shrink, also extra solder tips with smaller tips.

A good soldering station like a Hakko 936 with a Hakko  907 soldering iron.
It has a variable temp knob.

Here's a link on how to prep a cable and tools:

http://www.laventure.net/tourist/cables.htm#gauge

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #15 of 16
A high quality soldering station will make your work easier and help you complete projects successfully.  The Hakko 936 with the 907 iron is an excellent choice. This tool heats up quickly.  A multitude of tips are available at a reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back