nec cdr-602 arrived broken... case ideas?
Jan 20, 2004 at 11:30 AM Post #16 of 23
These drives look neat. I'm going to try and get ahold of one.

FYI UberNoob won a nec 602 lot auction off ebay (18 units iirc).. Check out the gear for sale section. PM him if you want one

Jan 20, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #18 of 23
Out of curiosity, what are some good NEC drive models?
there's a lot on ebay and I can't differentiate between them. Sorry if I'm sidetracking.
frown.gif

Jan 20, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #19 of 23
from my limited understanding... I'd say stick to the 602 and 601 models... since they have the SPDIF and RCA hookups and have the controls and display on the front of the unit

Jan 20, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by CrawlingEye
Thanks, guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Do they contain good DAC's or is it neccessary to go with an external DAC?

Edit: It seems some of the scisi NEC drives have rca outs, any opinions on these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=33871

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=33871

They seem to be 4 and 7 disc changers...

The built-in DACs are decent, but a good ext. dac with the cdr602, is really the goal. But the rca outs, can tie you over in the interim.

The two you mentioned doesn't have a display and I don't believe they use caddies. Caddies are one of the reasons why they perform as well as it does, IMO. Checkout MSB's Platinum series. They're using caddies. Talk about 'retro'!
biggrin.gif

The NEC 3x Plus Edwood mentioned, doesn't use a caddy. But the headphone out is pretty decent and it's totable. With a battery pack, it would make a pretty good 'all-in-one' portable rig.

Add the NEC 502 to list. I think the only diff. is the read speed, which is of no concern for playing redbook.

If appears, the NEC cdr602, 502, etc., are starting to dry up on ebay. Just recently, a cdr602 went for almost $40. But even at $40, it's still a hellava deal for a good transport, IMO.

Jan 22, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #23 of 23
If anybody is interested in the CDR-602 you can get in on the "group buy"
280smile.gif

Just send me a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back