Nearfield speakers?
Jan 15, 2010 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

akwok

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all!

I'm currently looking for some good nearfield speakers in the sub $300 range that I can use with my computer. I do not plan on using speaker stands, and plan on putting them directly on top of a glass desk. I'm thinking of picking up a cheap digital amp like a Trends Audio 10.2, and running it out of my EMU-1212m. However, active speakers are good too (that way, I can save money or spend more on the speakers by foregoing an amp
biggrin.gif
)

With that in mind, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 48
I love my Tekton fullrangers. I run them from a Mardis modded T-Amp. Very nice. They are taller than the mass market stuff and the drivers are at my ear level when sitting in front of the monitor. They have several in different price categories.

products

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 48
I can recommend the KRK actives, less money on interconnects that way too.

<cable guy shakes head at his own stupidity
biggrin.gif
>

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 48
Darn active monitors cut out the speaker cable guys...

Some Klipsch speakers and a t-amp sound nice at close range, wish I could justify getting some active monitors.

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 48
Right now it's a battle between the Tekton 4.5 + t-amp vs. the Audioengine A2. Any other suggestions?
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 48
energy rc-10s.. they are exactly 300 shipped at vann's and will work perfectly fine with a t-amp like the trends audio

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 48
I highly recommend the krk lines. They make a passive 6 so if you want to go that route you could choose your own amp. But those speakers PERFORM for their price tag. I feed a pair of rokit 6's straight off my da11

Jan 17, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 48
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I picked up a pair of used Audioengine A5s today, and plopped them onto my (glass) desk (with a phonebook below each speaker).

I'm finding them to be really, really bassy and bloated -- to the point where I need to EQ them down quite a bit for them to be even listenable. Is this because I'm putting them on my desk and not on proper stands? I was really hoping for punchy bass, not bloated generic car audio bass!

Maybe I'm just spoiled by my main setup...

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #14 of 48
The frequency response on Audioengines doesn't go as low as you'd think. The in-room bass bloat gives the impression that there's more there than is really going on, but it's a distorted mess. If you want clean, tight bass, you have to get a sub.

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The frequency response on Audioengines doesn't go as low as you'd think. The in-room bass bloat gives the impression that there's more there than is really going on, but it's a distorted mess. If you want clean, tight bass, you have to get a sub.

It's this 'fake impression' of bass that's annoying the hell out of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back