nearfield speakers
Apr 26, 2007 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

joefosho315

100+ Head-Fier
As you guys may have read already, the issue of headphones depresses me. Well, not literally! But anyways, I just LOVE the sound of my modest Energy C-3 speakers hooked up to my pioneer a-35r amp. Even cheapo computer speakers sound good in a way that headphones can't replicate. But I've always told myself that there's no way around using headphones, because my living situation has severlely constricted my space, so large bookshelf speakers just don't work. What has grabbed my interest though, are the RS1 speakers by monitor audio that was recently talked about in this forum as well. I've never heard of these types of monitors, but I guess that they fit into the category of "mini-monitors?" Then that hit me, is there such a thing as "nearfield" speakers? Sure enough, google seems to point to some websites referring to the idea of nearfield speakers. Now I'm excited! Can any of you tell me what options there are for speakers that can be placed on a desk and listened to at that close of a range? Would it be okay that there is a wall right behind the desk? I just want to know everything there is about mini/nearfield speakers and how they can be used in my situation. Thanks guys!

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 22
I've been thinking about near-field speakers too recently. I guess a closed box would be ideal if the speakers will be placed close to a wall, desk or shelf. I'd probably look into a coaxial design for best imaging. The downside with the closed speaker design is that the bass will probably roll of higher than usual and might require a subwoofer to satisfy completely.

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 22
Pretty much any speaker can be used "near-field," but some are designed for it. Control room monitors tend to be near-field, and speakers used in home music studios. KEF is famous for theirs.

Current three-piece systems (so-called "satellite-subwoofer") can be used this way quite easily. I used a Cambridge Soundworks Model 12 system this way, and liked it a lot. I don't have living constraints, so eventually connected the computer to the "big" stereo system.

One thing to look into is that if the speakers will be placed close to your computer display they should be magnetically shielded so they don't interfere. Most "computer speakers" are shielded, and they depend on near-field effects to sound decent.

Basically, the idea is that a near-field speaker puts out the full spectrum of audio but not in volume enough to fill a room. It fills the space near you. Beyond that the bass rolls off.

Apr 26, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 22
Lord Chaos pretty much covered everything.

Recording studios have been using near-field monitors for a long time. They are designed to be used 3-4 from the listener and are meant to deliver a flat or neutral presentation. Check out a local pro audio store for selection and more info. The only thing about pro audio monitors is that most of them tend to be self powered which may or may not work for you. Un-powered speakers can still be found but are less popular. My biggest advice is to listen before you buy. A lot of the cheaper pro speakers look really great but sound pretty lousy, so plan to do a little listening before buying.

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Chaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty much any speaker can be used "near-field," but some are designed for it. Control room monitors tend to be near-field, and speakers used in home music studios. KEF is famous for theirs.

Current three-piece systems (so-called "satellite-subwoofer") can be used this way quite easily. I used a Cambridge Soundworks Model 12 system this way, and liked it a lot. I don't have living constraints, so eventually connected the computer to the "big" stereo system.

One thing to look into is that if the speakers will be placed close to your computer display they should be magnetically shielded so they don't interfere. Most "computer speakers" are shielded, and they depend on near-field effects to sound decent.

Basically, the idea is that a near-field speaker puts out the full spectrum of audio but not in volume enough to fill a room. It fills the space near you. Beyond that the bass rolls off.

The more I read about it, it seems that there certainly is a difference between normal hifi loudspeakers and studio monitors. They supposedly have distinctive sounds, with the latter sometimes being more analytical, perhaps more fatiguing. This being the case, would it still be okay to use studio monitors for recretional music playback? Also, is there any way to determine what listening distance is recommended for nearfield monitors? My energy C-3 manual says to listen to them from about 9 feet away or so, if I can remember correctly. If I listened to them any closer than this, I fear that I am not getting the correct imaging, soundstage, etc that the manufacturer designed the speaker to give me. This is why I want to make sure of knowing the recommended listening distance of nearfield monitors. Lastly, is there a specific category of these nearfield monitors, or can I assume that all studio monitors are designed to be listened to closely?

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 22
I recently got a pair or JBL LSR 6328P powered nearfield studio monitors. They cost about $2.1K, and IMHO, they outperform headphones by a very large margin. For info regarding these nearfield monitors/speakers, search out postings by Lloyd297, and me.

Apr 27, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #8 of 22
Okay, so I did a bit more research, particularly on the nearfield articles provided on www.enjoythemusic.com. 2 speakers that have gained my interest are the M&K B-1500's (~$450) and the Role Audio Kayaks (~$700). I looked for threads on them here, but couldn't find any. Have any of you guys had any experience with these speakers at all? Besides the ones already mentioned (thanks for the replies!) are there any other mini bookshelfs that I should consider up to a $700 max price range? Lastly, would my Pioneer A-35r at least do a decent enough job of driving these speakers, that is, until I can afford a better amp in the future?

May 1, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 22
Well it seems like no one here has experience with the M&K B-1500 or the Role Kayak speakers, but can someone give me some basic advice on speaker amplification? My pioneer a-35r is rated at 65W RMS @ 4ohms and 45W RMS @ 8 ohms. The M&K B-1500 recommends 25 and 200 watts RMS or more @ 4ohms, whereas the Role Kayak speakers recommend 35 to 150 watts @ 8 ohms. I'm quite a noob to speaker amping, but it seems like technically speaking, my amp seems suitable enough to drive both of these speakers. However, am I just getting by here on the bare minimum? Would an upgrade to a more robust amplifier benefit me greatly? If not, I'd be happy to keep my Pioneer A-35r!

May 4, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 22
The difference between "home theater" speakers and studio monitors comes about because not everyone wants to hear all of the detail inherent in audio, especially given the state of mixing and mastering these days. Why d'you think people are going back to vinyl and tubes?!
biggrin.gif

Studio monitors are perfectly acceptable for any audio purpose, as are any other speakers. Don't worry about supposed "proper usage," just listen in a way that sounds best to you.

What's your current source (ex. CD player, computer, etc.)?

IMO, if you want studio monitors, the best route to take is to save up and buy active (amplified) ones. The amplifiers included with the speakers are custom-designed to make that pair of speakers sound their best. Another benefit of studio monitors is that they accept balanced connections, which means that if you upgrade to a balanced source (ex. new sound card), you'll have even better sound quality with increased noise rejection.

Don't worry if you don't understand everything right away... There's plenty of time to figure it all out.
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by joefosho315 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it seems like no one here has experience with the M&K B-1500 or the Role Kayak speakers, but can someone give me some basic advice on speaker amplification? My pioneer a-35r is rated at 65W RMS @ 4ohms and 45W RMS @ 8 ohms. The M&K B-1500 recommends 25 and 200 watts RMS or more @ 4ohms, whereas the Role Kayak speakers recommend 35 to 150 watts @ 8 ohms. I'm quite a noob to speaker amping, but it seems like technically speaking, my amp seems suitable enough to drive both of these speakers. However, am I just getting by here on the bare minimum? Would an upgrade to a more robust amplifier benefit me greatly? If not, I'd be happy to keep my Pioneer A-35r!

I have a pair of M&K B-1500s on my desk (glorified computer speakers in my setup). I drive them with a parasound hca-750a which is 125W @ 4ohms. This is MORE than enough to drive the M&Ks. I imagine your amp would do fine. I've been pretty happy with my setup, but I must admit I haven't done too much crtical listening. I am 99% headphones and only occasionally switch on the speakers.

May 17, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 22
2 days ago I upgraded my computer system as a sort of birthday present.I got a pair of Event Electronics ALP 5 active monitors along with an E-MU 0404/USB sound card.These speakers sounded like crap when I first fired them up.As I write this 2 days later,these speakers are really starting to come around and are outperforming all of my headphones.I have never experienced such a transformation and I was very close to sending them back.These speakers along with the very nice E-MU 0404/USB are very smooth and dynamic,(a fun listen).Though these speakers are still changing, I am now at the point that I feel I can give them a positive recommendation.They are connected together with a pair of 1/4" TRS balanced cables.These speakers are fairly new so there isn't much review information available.

May 17, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #13 of 22
Events are definitely "fun factor" monitors... Used for a lot of techno and hip-hop production for their high and low end capabilities. Not exactly neutral, but still revealing and detailed.
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #14 of 22
I'd disagree. Most event monitors I heard were a big leg up from its competition in the same price category in neutrality and transparency when comparing with orchestral/chamber music.

May 17, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Events are definitely "fun factor" monitors... Used for a lot of techno and hip-hop production for their high and low end capabilities. Not exactly neutral, but still revealing and detailed.
biggrin.gif

These speakers are still very new to me so I am still a bit confused in trying to figure things out but these Event ALP 5s seem very neutral.They seem to throw more midrange than my Von Schweikert VR-1s.I am not near as gifted as many members of this forum on reviewing audio gear but I can tell a good speaker from an ordinary one and the Event ALP 5 is better than ordinary.I don't know how they compair to powered speakers in the same price range but I would like to repeat that they do sound like dung fodder fresh from the box.Because of this,they need to be broken in before given a fair evaluation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back