Near-perfect SPDIF measurement numbers!
Nov 27, 2004 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

IanS

Head-Fier
Hi all:

I've spent the last several weeks scouring the net trying to figure out how to get the best sound possible out of my office stereo, including the option of using my PC. I've been reading this forum for a while, and its been very helpful.

So I thought I'd try to add some value by showing these S/PDIF digital loopback lab measurements for the RME DIGI96/8 professional soundcard:

http://audio.rightmark.org/test/rme/.../digi1644d.htm

These numbers sure look good to me! For those seeking an SPDIF output method from their Mac/PC, how much better can it get?

Nov 27, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 4
There's no measurement for jitter.

Nov 27, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 4
It's important to mention that, Rightmark Audio Analyzer (RMAA) gives bogus results when measuring S/PDIF data. It's almost impossible to get RMAA to detect problems, even when they clearly exist. See Jefmeister's Toshiba thread in the sources forum for a good illustration.

Not to worry, though, the RME Digi96/8 has a clean digital out and very good drivers and is an excellent choice for what you want to do.

Nov 28, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 4
I thougth the idea with digital out is to exactly match the results you will see when you dump the test signal to a file and have that signal analyzed without going through a sound card at all.

At that point it does not really matter whether these numbers are bogus as long as they are identical.

Cheers

Thomas

P.S.: Then there is jitter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back