Near-field desktop system or dedicated 2-channel?
Feb 19, 2010 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

McPanse

100+ Head-Fier
I'm re-doing a 13'x10' home office and naturally the audio considerations are taking the front seat.

I'm undecided about whether to focus on building a near-field desktop system or a higher-quality 2-channel setup best enjoyed from a comfy chair across the room.

Computer won't be used for gaming -- it's a Mac, after all -- and I've got better options for movie watching.

Sample Simple Near-field system:
Audioengine A5 speakers + CSW Newton P500 subwoofer<--head amp/pre <--DAC<--iMac

Sample Dedicated 2-channel system:
High-quality bookshelf speakers (Aperion, Ascend, B&W, Dynaudio, Energy, etc.) with or w/out the P500 <--spare Denon AVR <-- iMac

Whichever way I go, I want to get some decent closed cans (D2000 or better) and run them out of a dedicated headamp or the Denon AVR (at least initially).

A little more about the room. It's 13' deep by 10' wide. The back wall will be dedicated to open Elfa shelves. This is where I would put book shelf speakers.

The L-shaped desk will run along the left hand wall and turn in toward the center of the room, positioned so that I'll be facing the door when sitting at the computer, my back towards the back wall.

Comfy chair is near the front wall -- good spot for the bookshelf speakers, bad spot for desktop speakers, since those would be firing toward the rear wall.

Conversely, bookshelf speakers would be firing at my back when seated at the computer.

Goal here is as much audio bliss that I can buy for $1000* or less.

*This assumes I pay upwards of $700 for speakers, even though there are several on my list that can be had more less than half that.

Speakers currently under consideration:
  1. B&W 685
  2. Energy RC10
  3. Ascend Sierra 1
  4. Usher S-520
  5. Onix Reference 1
  6. Paradigm Atom V5
  7. Dynaudio's Focus 14
  8. Aperion Intimus 6B
  9. HiVi D2.1se

Worth noting: I have a decent 5.1 home theater better suited to movies than music. My headphone rig (see sig) is in the living room. I run a pair of Boston CR75 bookshelves powered by Trends T-amp. The speakers are poorly positioned, but the sound is good enough for casual listening with the family.

I want the home office to be a place where I can shut the door and get lost in the music.

Any and all advice and comments are welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back