Ne-7m vs. Creative Zen vs. Adapter
Jan 8, 2009 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Q-Tip-81

Head-Fier
Because of the 4-pin plug on my ne-7's and their inability to work properly on the 3-pin supported Zen, I've been pushed to 3 different scenarios.

1) Find an adapter (I haven't found anything close)

2) Keep the ne-7m's and find a new compatible mp3 player

3) Return the ne-7m's and find new IEM's at the same quality/price

If I can find an adapter that would be amazing, but the chances are slim to none. Also, I'm not even sure how many non-Apple players will have better compatibility than my Zen now.

I've racked my brain for the past 12 hours on this conundrum and I need help from the wise members of Head-Fi.

Jan 8, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 8
I doubt you'll find a player like the zen for the price, depends how much size matters and other stuff. If you work out with your player a lot you should stick to a flash player. The headphones are easy enough to return within 30 days. My Fiio amp still doesn't work with my 7's but the phones work fine with my Zune 120. A lot more expensive than a Zen though, and hd based. It also has no equalizer, which is a bummer. I really like it for videos and music and it has a ton of room but it does have some downsides. No EQ, doesn't come with Wall Charger, just the computer cable it can charge/sync on.

It depends how much you like your Zen I guess. I don't know how compatible other players would be. The 7's are good but they're also inexpensive. I'd probably just bring them back and keep the player.

Jan 8, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt you'll find a player like the zen for the price, depends how much size matters and other stuff. If you work out with your player a lot you should stick to a flash player. The headphones are easy enough to return within 30 days. My Fiio amp still doesn't work with my 7's but the phones work fine with my Zune 120. A lot more expensive than a Zen though, and hd based. It also has no equalizer, which is a bummer. I really like it for videos and music and it has a ton of room but it does have some downsides. No EQ, doesn't come with Wall Charger, just the computer cable it can charge/sync on.

It depends how much you like your Zen I guess. I don't know how compatible other players would be. The 7's are good but they're also inexpensive. I'd probably just bring them back and keep the player.

That's very true....the Zen's SQ (+Custom EQ) and price are pretty hard to beat without costing me another $200 to jump up to a 16gb player.

The ne-7 return will probably cost me +$50 to find something comparable in quality.

If I end up returning the Nuforce IEM's, do you suggest another pair that is comparable without breaking the $120 mark?

I listen to metal/punk/classical guitar, so warmth is important. I don't necessarily want overflowing bass, rather, something that is strong, punchy and defined. Clarity and precision in highs are important, but I don't want a feel that is overly analytical.

Jan 8, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 8
If you like your player, I would go with option 1 or 3, as they will probably be the most cost effective (although I have an 8GB expandable Sansa Fuze, which work with the NE-7 and can be found for less than $100).

There are Zagg Z.Buds for $40, but they are more bass heavy than the NE-7. The Shure SCL4 in white is only $80 and has very good mids, which from what I have read would sound great for classical guitar.

Taikero is working on a review of the Z.Buds vs. the NE-7 which I am eagerly awaiting and will help me with my buying decision.

Jan 9, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 8
Assuming the NE-8 is 3 pin because it has no mic you should consider returning the 7 and putting in like $20 extra to upgrade to it. It's supposed to have better clarity/SQ with leaner bass but you have that Fiio amp which should work with the 8 to remedy that.

Jan 9, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Assuming the NE-8 is 3 pin because it has no mic you should consider returning the 7 and putting in like $20 extra to upgrade to it. It's supposed to have better clarity/SQ with leaner bass but you have that Fiio amp which should work with the 8 to remedy that.

Well....for some strange reason, I just purchased a 16GB Sony s639.

So, I basically went against my own advice and reason. Hopefully everything works fine because it's shipping from the UK.

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Innova /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the first that I heard of this...I was thinking of getting the ne-7m's to use with my Zen...they don't work?

The NE-7m is made to work with phones, so it has a longer jack to run the in-line mic -- some players will not accommodate the longer tip. I have a Zune 30gb that will take the longer tip, but apparently the Creative players have a fixed size headphone jack receptacle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back