NE-7M replacement suggestions
Dec 22, 2010 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

NickBrawne

New Head-Fier

I have been lurking on Head-Fi for quite a while, reading reviews and looking for advice on IEM's and headphones. The NE-7M's that I use with my iPhone are in need of a replacement, as the cord is fracturing internally close to the 3.5mm connector and sound levels constantly change as I walk.

The NE-7M's are comfortable, and I like their sound. I thought about getting the new NE-700M's except that I need a replacement in the next few days, not a month from now.

My criteria are:
- Must have a mic.
- Minimum of pause / switch button on the cord, ideally it would be nice to have full controls on the cord with volume. 
- Low microphonics. The NE-7M are bearable in his regard. I had a pair of Etymotyics that were unusable. I know that microphonic can be reduced by wearing the cord over the ears, but I find this very awkward and uncomfortable, so this is not an option.
- Comfort. The NE-7M are okay, the most comfortable IEM's that I have owned were some SkullCandy Inked's that I picked up for $10 at Target. UE-5's were the most uncomfortable and I gave up on them after a few weeks.
- Sound quality. Predominantly I listen to spoken word so I am looking for something very balanced without a boomy bass. My musical tastes are pretty wide ranging from Trad Jazz to Classical piano, but also like LCD Soundsystem and The XX. All of my music is stored in Apple Lossless, and my desktop system is an original NuForce Icon with upgraded power supply, S1 speakers and a Yamaha sub.
- Build quality. I am pretty careful with my things, and feel like a pair of IEM's should last longer than 15 months.
- Price below $50 delivered with tax in CA.

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 3
Other than the price versus your suggested budget, Thinksound TS02's would be a good replacement.

The table in Post #8 of Joker's extensive review set includes a column that indicates which IEMs that he's reviewed have a mic/remote option. It shows that MEElec MxP variations are the best that you can do for $50 with a mic and decent sound quality

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 3

Thanks for the fast reply.

Jokers post is a little overwhelming. I found the spreadsheet and downloaded it. What an incredible resource, it ought to be stickyed at the top of the forum.

I think I am going to go for one of the MEElectronics IEM's as they all appear to have very low microphonics and good build quality with fairly good sound.

Thanks once again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back