NC Meet @ Duke University -- 4/22/07
Apr 23, 2007 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

aphex944

500+ Head-Fier
We all had a great time, thanks to gates_2 for hosting! Very nicely sized room, and everyone was really friendly. I will post my impressions in another post. Here are the few photos I quickly snapped!

duke1.jpg

duke2.jpg

duke3.jpg

duke4.jpg

duke5.jpg

duke6.jpg

Apr 23, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 10
My impressions:

Grado PS-1: Definitely the clearest sounding Grado, loads of bass and loads of highs. A little too much to take, plus they're so heavy.

AKG K 701: I got a chance to listen to these a tad bit more, and this time around I didn't really like them as much. There's just something missing in the lower midrange, I guess the "body" of the music is a bit dry and lacking. It does retain a good bit of warmness and the upper midrange is classic AKG.

Audio Technica ATH-AD2000: I've never listened to an AT headphone before, but these were really disappointing for me. I tried them on a few setups just to make sure what I was hearing was consistent. The upper midrange is bloated, but is also really lacking in detail. The higher notes were smeared, and definitely not what I'd call resolving at all. It reminded me of a Grado in some respects without being as engaging and fun.

Ultrasone Edition 9: My first Ultrasone listen, and overall I really liked these! Drums especially were very realistic and organic. The midrange is definitely weird at first, but I got used to it quickly. They seemed to be very balanced other than the large bass response. Clamping force was really tight, but I didn't find them to be that uncomfortable. A very natural sounding headphone, and one I'd love to have(in my dreams $$$). Drew mentioned he was going to recable them, which is a great idea as the stock cable seemed pretty cheap.

Stax electrostatics: The Omega IIs were dark, but man they were great. I didn't get a chance to listen that long, but what I heard was phenomenal. The SR-Xs were also really nice sounding. The modified version was better in almost all respects, and they were just really enjoyable to listen to.

I think that was about it. Again, big thanks to everyone who brought their equipment!

Apr 23, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 10
Grado PS-1: Oh, my, goodness. I almost had a heart attack listening to these. Simply the most engaging headphone out of all the headphones I've ever heard. I've been ranting with glee and fury over the past few hours to a number of my Head-Fi friends. Gah, I can't believe how wonderfully beautiful they sound with female vocals (pop, rock, jazz, whatever)

AKG K701: I wanted to confirm whether I liked the K701 or not out of another amp and source. It's a great headphone indeed, but it just doesn't have the engaging feel to it. Good and balanced in my opinion. Lacking in musicality at times.

Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000: These were my favorite headphones (other than the SA5000) under $500. Today I heard them out of the Luna and the PPX3 SLAM 6SN7. I've changed my opinion regarding these headphones somewhat. They are smooth sounding indeed, but the tonality is a bit off; it's a little bit dark sounding and doesn't have enough PRaT for my liking. It's so strange, I was so in love with these headphones before. I enjoy the midrange bloat a little bit, but it had neither the toe-tapping nor the soul-moving ability some other cans have.

Sennheiser HD650 with Moon Audio Silver Dragon: I listened to these out of the PPX3 SLAM 6SN7. I am shocked by how good these sound. I had a HD650 before (before I had the SLAM), and they just sounded kind of lame and veiled. No more. The Silver Dragon and the PPX3 SLAM really lifted the veil. The timbre and tonality of voices and instruments was very enjoyable. I must say that recabling works wonders after all and what people say about the Singlepower-Sennheiser synergy is no joke.

Balanced Sennheiser HD650 Moon-Audio Silver Dragon: Balanced. Wow, what a difference. I listened to these out of the Moon Audio Luna balanced amp. So much more control, and some serious PRaT kicked in. Same as above (tonality and timbre were great) with the unbalanced. I love them. I'm now realizing why there are numerous people who have tried many headphones over the years and end up with balanced HD650s in the end.

Ultrasone Edition 9: I came to the meet wanting to hear these babies. But I never did. Wow, I don't know what I was thinking. I really wanted to hear these since I thought they might just be what I wanted. I could definitely see that the headband was on the tight side of things though.

Stax Omega II: Just as I remembered. Nothing wrong here. Great sound coming out of a great headphone. Music in, music out. However, also just as I remembered, it was not as engaging as I would have liked in a headphone.

Stax 404: Brighter than I had expected. (I heard these a while back but didn't remember them so top-heavy.) Not much weight down in the bass department, but it had good speed as expected. However, not as euphonic as I would have desired.

Stax Sigma Pro: Haha, these were my cans, and I had never heard them until now! So what to say? The Sigma Pros are one of the peculiar cans I have ever heard. The imaging and soundstage is creepily amazing as expected from a headphone where the drivers are mounted in front of your ears (sort of like the K1000). But unlike the K1000, the Sigma Pro is a bass monster! The rich bass and impact just flows into your ear while retaining typical electrostatic control. I found a certain degree of inner detail, which Spritzer had once mentioned to me about, in the sound of the Sigma Pro that I could not find in the 404 but was quite apparent in the Omega II. The Sigma Pro however is extremely hard to drive. I had to turn up the dial on the amp up. When the 404 was connected to the same amp, they were at deafening volumes. The highs of the Sigma Pro are rolled off and thus making the headphone sound somewhat dark but yet rich. I was going to sell these cans before ever having heard these, but Hirsch told me to at least give them a try; he likes them and thinks they have their particular strengths. Hirsch and a few others also told me that it takes a while for the Sigma Pro to charge up (much longer than any of the other electrostats), and indeed that was the case here. While the 404 sounded pretty good right off the bat, when I first put the Sigma Pro on at the beginning of the meet, the sound was weak and uncontrolled. When I put on the cans later on however, the sound had reached the control and precision associated with electrostats. Overall though, I can't help but say that I can't keep the Sigma Pro. It takes a nice electrostatic amp to drive them and I can't afford to keep both a dynamic rig and an electrostatic rig at the same time.

Stax SR-X MKIII Foam Removed: Hah. A lot better than my stock one. The PRaT and bass kicks in, and it sounds plain good. Timbre is flawless as expected. Simply one of my favorite headphones. I have to say though, the custom built integrated amplifier that was brought to the meet and was used to drive the SR-X MKIII was simply phenomenal. I was shocked.

Moon-Audio Luna: A wonderful amplifier indeed. Great control and very smooth sounding. I didn't spend much time comparing the amplifier to other amps, but I must say that I liked it. My listening experiences with amplifiers however is on the limited side of things, so I can't provide much in terms of in-depth comments.

Apr 24, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 10
Sorry my impressions have been so late in coming.

I only listened to a few phones, I mostly talked to people there.

OII: Incredible phone. I felt it was the next step up from the Sr-Xs. It had better tonality, bass, and soundstage but it did not have the fun character. I would like to hear it on a higher end source than my modded Denon 2900 and a Gilmore amp.

Balanced HD650s: From my first meet, I felt that the HD650s were boring phones. That changed hearing it out of Drew's amp. They took on a livelier character and were enjoyable to listen. Still I am not trading them for my estats anytime soon.

Thanks to Mike for putting the meet on. I really enjoyed talking to all the local head-fiers in the area.

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #9 of 10
Sol had a 1.5W speaker/headphone amp that powered my Sr-X quite well. As good or better the amp I have now. If you want to do it on the cheap, buy a t-amp or super t-amp. It's not about power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back