NC heaphones in comparison. Newbie need some help
Nov 6, 2011 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Fedec

New Head-Fier
Firstable, let me introduce myself quickly.

My name is Christopher, 21 years old, and english isn't my first ( or second ) language. I come from belgium and subscribed to this website because it looked so full of information. I studied english so i should be able to reply correctly and understand your comments.

I'm looking, recently, for a headphone that will isolate me from the outside.
I'm a regular poker players and sometimes i need quite in those room full of people talking BUT i'm firstable a student and i would like something to help me study in stilness (i'm sharing a room in a house full of students ).
I also travel a lot, mostly with the bus or railway but i take the plane quite often to.

My budget goes around 220euros ( 300dollars top ).

I have looked for those headphones:

Audio technica ANC7b ( heard that they have major soud leakage problem, true ? ).

Bose QC15: way over my budget but not out of option

Sony MDRNC 60

Bose AE2: not active noise cancelling but super comfortable

Monster beats studio: heard a lot of bashing arounf them, don't really care about the style

Sennheiser HD280 pro

Not to mention they need to be very comfortable :wink:

What should i choose ( or NOT choose ). Other suggestion ?( i still can look on amazon ).
I welcome every commentary and hope my english was fine enough for you guys!

See you soon

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 10
Hi Fedec,

Here are my two cents as an owner of the ATH-ANC7b. They work great in airplanes, but for other everyday environments might be a bit overkill. For your needs, why don't you try some in-ear noise-cancelling buds?

For additional info, I also auditioned the Dr Dre Beats and the Bose Quiet Comfort 15 and two of my colleagues own them, so when we fly together we exchange cans for a while to check them out. I do not like the sound of the Beats at all. They are exciting, but emphasize the bass way too much and are very expensive. The Boses do a fine job on less dynamic stuff, but from your age, I'm guessing the Bose will struggle to match your music collection. They also generate a lot of pressure on the ears to create the noise-cancelling effect. Much more than the ANC7b. You should audition the Bose QC15 and then you'll know what i'm describing.

In conclusion, I can really recomment the ATH-ANC7b, but think you might want to give in-ear noise-cancelling buds a try. They also are probably better for studying, because all over the ear headphones get warm after a while. The ANC7b's are really comfy but get warm too and they do leak a noticeable amount of sound.

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 10
Waouw that was a quick answer. Thanks :)

I enjoyed your point of view over the ANC7b.
About the noise cancelling bud, i tried some and i'm not huge fan of them, they hurted after long use...
About the kind of music i listen, it's mostly :

Jamiroquai, Queen, tricky, Björk, MGMT, Daft punk, the killers, Muse, Michael Jackson ...
No so much Hip Hop and even less rap.
Classic sometime.

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 10
Sorry for the double post.

What do you mean by "overkill"?

What earbuds do you suggest that have the best noise cancelling And are comfortable ( i tried the sennheiser cx300 ) and they are fine but heart after a while and cancel the noise only a little IMO.

Nov 6, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
Sorry for the double post.

What do you mean by "overkill"?

What earbuds do you suggest that have the best noise cancelling And are comfortable ( i tried the sennheiser cx300 ) and they are fine but heart after a while and cancel the noise only a little IMO.

I tried to reply and the post got lost, so let's try that again

By overkill, I mean that the ATH-ANC7b could be much more than you actually require and cost more than you need to spend.
The Sennheiser CX300 is probably only noise-isolating, not noise-cancelling. Noise-cancelling earphones come with a plstic unit which houses the battery compartment and circuit which produces the noise-cancelling effect. Check out the

Audio-Technica ATH ANC23  and Pioneer SE-NC31C-K

Nov 6, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 10
I understand.

I've already read some intersting reviews over the pioneer and audio technica. You're right, the earbuds that i use are probably noise isolating.
I'm still a little concerned about the "in ear" noise cancelling system ( don't know how to call it else ). Looks unhealthy... And not so much comfortable.
Have you tried them?

I still did other research ( i'm a little stubborn sorry ), and found other intersting headphones:

Sony MDR-NC60 and the Denon AHNC-800.

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
I understand.

I've already read some intersting reviews over the pioneer and audio technica. You're right, the earbuds that i use are probably noise isolating.
I'm still a little concerned about the "in ear" noise cancelling system ( don't know how to call it else ). Looks unhealthy... And not so much comfortable.
Have you tried them?

I still did other research ( i'm a little stubborn sorry ), and found other intersting headphones:

Sony MDR-NC60 and the Denon AHNC-800.

The ATH-ANC23 is quite comfortable for me and I actually like in-ear buds, but the noise-cancelling on that  model is not great.
I'm not familiar with the two models you've listed - Sony MDR-NC60 and the Denon AHNC-800. - my suggestion is to find a store that allows you to audition them.
Sony noise-cancelling products can be very good or very mediocre.

Oh.....and never apologize for doing your own research :)

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 10
I forgot to tell you that no matter which NC headphone you choose, make sure that the ear pads surround your ears completely. If you have big ears, this might be a bit tricky.
The reason is that otherwise a bit of pressure is produced and listening to the cans for a long time can be a bit challenging. However, if they sit right, you can hear for extended periods in isolated bliss :)

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Firstable, let me introduce myself quickly.

My name is Christopher, 21 years old, and english isn't my first ( or second ) language. I come from belgium and subscribed to this website because it looked so full of information. I studied english so i should be able to reply correctly and understand your comments.

I'm looking, recently, for a headphone that will isolate me from the outside.
I'm a regular poker players and sometimes i need quite in those room full of people talking BUT i'm firstable a student and i would like something to help me study in stilness (i'm sharing a room in a house full of students ).
I also travel a lot, mostly with the bus or railway but i take the plane quite often to.

My budget goes around 220euros ( 300dollars top ).

I have looked for those headphones:

Audio technica ANC7b ( heard that they have major soud leakage problem, true ? ).

Bose QC15: way over my budget but not out of option

Sony MDRNC 60

Bose AE2: not active noise cancelling but super comfortable

Monster beats studio: heard a lot of bashing arounf them, don't really care about the style

Sennheiser HD280 pro

Not to mention they need to be very comfortable :wink:

What should i choose ( or NOT choose ). Other suggestion ?( i still can look on amazon ).
I welcome every commentary and hope my english was fine enough for you guys!

See you soon

I had Bose QC15 for a while (Birthday present from a friend) first I thought they sounded good, noise cancelling is great but later I realize they sound so tiny compare to other headphones, not work well with every genre of music, also gave me headache from pressure of active NC, I think it's not good for human ear to listing to it for long time with that much of pressure. So I sold it on eBay and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
just my .02 cents.

Nov 20, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #10 of 10
I would suggest getting closed back headphones. I don't really think active noise canceling would help much in your situation.
You could look into the HD 25-1 II, a bit below your budget but still excellent cans in my opinion. They have quite a bit of isolation, and I use them to suppress the volume of other people's conversations all the time.
The only thing I'd be worried with these cans is that they can get a bit uncomfortable if you listen with them for long times. This might be less with the velour ear pads, but I haven't tried those.

You can get them for 172 euros over at bax-shop.
On a semi-related note: are you Flemish or Walloon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back