Nazi Hunter Simon Wiesenthal Dies at 96
Sep 20, 2005 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DanG

Headphoneus Supremus
This man was one of my greatest heroes. Having survived five Nazi death camps and lost 89 relatives in the Holocaust, he went on to help capture and bring to justice about 1,100 Nazi war criminals including Eichmann, the head of the Gestapo's Department for Jewish Affairs from 1941-1945, in 1960. He also provided the inspiration for the Simon Wiesenthal Center in LA which fights racial and ethnic prejudice.

Click here for the full AP report.

EDIT: Corrected Eichmann's position in accordance with joelongwood's post.

Sep 20, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 8
He was one of those great men (and women) that not enough people know about. Hopefully, his legacy will live on far into the future so that people never forget what man is capable of.
The only dispute I have with your post, Dan, is that you say Eichmann was "head of the SS." As far as I know, he was head of the Department for Jewish Affairs in the Gestapo from 1941 to 1945 and was in charge of the deportation of three million Jews to extermination camps throughout Europe. Hey, what can I tell you...........I was a history teacher.
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 8
one of the truly inspired and all around great men of the 20th century. i'm austrian, so wiesenthal meant much to me in a lot of different ways - and still does after his death. neither he nor his life-long inspired work will be forgotten. the capture of eichmann was his best-known triumph but i believe his ultimate victory was the change he helped bring about in his home country - the country that killed his family, tried to exterminate his people and tried to just "forget about it."

Sep 20, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 8
That was an amazing time in German history. The Germans living in the Weimar republic in poor conditions and a weakened state, getting the crap kicked out of them in WWI. With pending sanctions/treaties..etc Germans were tired of being pushed around. Look what happened. A small group of beer drinking thugs (SA) with radical political ideas started to get votes. Then with a failed Beer Hall Putsch to make a few criminal famous (Himmler) Which who by the way had no Military or political leadership history but because of early fanaticism and the belief that Hitler was the Messiah was placed in charge of the SS the German national security.. huh? Borman, Goebbles…etc these guys were bad.. Who with the help of Hitler’s personal Dr. purposefully giving him mass amounts of amphetamine and whatever else could get documents signed that was criminal to the human race. Anyhow, the European history class I took last year was very interesting. The teacher looked like he survived Nazi Germany… hmm oh well, he gave me a B – I think all the Nazis are dead now. yEa!

Sep 20, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
The only dispute I have with your post, Dan, is that you say Eichmann was "head of the SS." As far as I know, he was head of the Department for Jewish Affairs in the Gestapo from 1941 to 1945 and was in charge of the deportation of three million Jews to extermination camps throughout Europe. Hey, what can I tell you...........I was a history teacher.
biggrin.gif

Sorry about the error! Thanks for the clarification.

Sep 21, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 8
Indeed a great man. A true survivor and warrior for justice.

If anyone here is interested in a unique telling of a holocaust survivor story, the graphic novels "Maus 1 and 2" are very intriguing.

The Jews are mice, the Nazis are cats, Americans are dogs and the Poles are pigs. However, despite the "cartoon" characters the story is very real. The author is incredibly honest in the portrayal of the characters, including himself, his relationship with his father and his mothers suicide. It really is an incredible read.

It is done by Art Spiegelman and it is his father Vladek Spiegelmans story of survival in war time Poland and ultimately Auschwitz.

Sep 21, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 8
At least he has something to show for all those years. Hope I can say the same when I've lived twice as long.
tongue.gif

CPW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back