Natural upgrade path for a Sennheiser HD 650 owner?
Aug 9, 2019 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kmitschiener

Head-Fier
Right now, I'm using a Dragonfly Black > Darkvoice 336se > HD 650. I really enjoy the sound signature, but I'd like something with a bit more instrument and bass separation. Also, I'm looking for a true upgrade, and not just a side step. I have about $1,000 to spend on a new set of cans and amp and I'll be buying in London. Right now I'm thinking about going for the Audeze LCD 2C and Arcam rHead for about GBP 900.00.

I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Aug 10, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 13
Forgot to mention, your DV336 can also drive HD800S, because it's a high Z headphone.

But LCD on the other hand will need a new amp...tube amps normally won't drive low Z headphones well.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #9 of 13
What kind of music do you listen to?

I'm asking because he HD800(s) is a completely different animal than the LCD2's. If you want more resolution and better soundstage a hd800 makes more sense but the LCD's have much more slam. I wouldn't recommend the hd800's for hip hop and the LCD's wouldn't my headphone for listening to classical for example.

I think in terms of presentation there are other headphones closer in presentation to the hd650 but with better technicalities. ZMF's open dynamics, and maybe the Focal Clear although it's a lot brighter. Maybe you could look for Elex impressions and see how they compare to the hd650. It won't be easy because the 650 is a pretty good allround headphone. For $1000 it will be hard to find a headphone which betters it in all areas.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #11 of 13
I have no idea I never listened to those genres on the LCD2s. Only briefly auditioned them listening to pop and music like daft punk. I wouldn't buy an LCD2 for the genres you listen to but someone else might.

This is not going to be a popular answer but what about sticking with the 650's for now and invest in a dac/amp. The 650 will scale pretty well.

Aug 10, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #12 of 13
Yeah, I’ll probablu just stick with the HD 650nand pick up an rHead and D50. Thye seem to pair well with just about every headphone.

Aug 10, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #13 of 13
If you plan on sticking with the tube amp,I would look into some of the ZMF headphones,like Atticus,Aeolus and Auteur.
The Atticus and Aeolus are similar in signature to the 650,but better. The Auteur is airier and more neutrally tuned.
All are 300ohms,so you can keep your amp.
If you get lucky you can find a used pair around your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back