Natural/Transparent Headphones in the $450-650 USD range
Aug 17, 2019 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Mamza

New Head-Fier
I am looking to purchase a pair of over-the-ear headphones and I'm looking for really clean sound quality. I have an issue (hearing loss??) where it can be difficult for me to separate sounds as I hear them, so I want to get something that sounds very natural.

I currently have a pair of NAD HP50s from probably 2014-2016 that I'll probably sell off because the ear cups are too small and the headset clamps too tightly on my head for a comfortable experience. I do like the sound well enough, though. I also recently purchased Sennheiser's Momentum True Wireless earbuds, but I'm sending them back due to more comfort issues. I enjoy their sound, although I feel the bass isn't quite clear enough for my taste. I've tried adjusting it with their app, but I either get clear lows and highs with a really muddy mid-range, or vice versa.

Currently I'm looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro, but I've read the DT XXXX guide, which suggests they have a tight headband. I'm not particularly fluent in audio-jargon, so some of the things I read kind of go over my head. Would the 1770 250 Ohm version have the kind of sound signature I'm looking for? If not, what are some decent alternatives? Any advice is appreciated!

Aug 18, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 22
You didn't specify whether isolation is important, but the Sennheiser HD600/650 sound like what you might be after.

Aug 18, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 22
I suppose if I had to choose, closed-back would be preferred. I'll be using them for pretty much all PC-related tasks (games, music, movies), and I plan on driving them with the O2 SDAC/Amp if that matters (probably should have said that from the start). Is there a closed-back version of the HD600/650?

Aug 18, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 22
As far as I know (and I own them both), there really isn't a closed version of the HD600 or HD650. That said, I think you should consider looking into the ZMF line. Most of them are above budget, but there are a few within and close. I don't think anyone would generally characterize most ZMFs as exactly neutral.They tend to have clear highs, lost of detail, and outstanding, world-class bass. Just a though for you maybe to read about.

Aug 18, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 22
Hmm...I'm only seeing headphones over a grand on the ZMF website. Which models did you have in mind? I could be convinced to spend more than my budget, but it would have to be a considerably better pair of headphones than what I can get in my current range.

Aug 18, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 22
Hmm...I'm only seeing headphones over a grand on the ZMF website. Which models did you have in mind? I could be convinced to spend more than my budget, but it would have to be a considerably better pair of headphones than what I can get in my current range.
Right.I guess the first one that came to my mind was the Blackwood.

Aug 18, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 22
Ah, thanks. Apparently I'm a dork and didn't navigate the site very well. Thanks, I'll definitely do some reading on these, and in the meantime any other suggestions are welcome from others as well! I have a lot of learning to do before I likely find what it is I'm searching for.

Aug 21, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #8 of 22
I would suggest a pair of used / discontinued Focal Elear (there was also a Massdrop version called the Elex. Very transparent and dynamic headphone with good comfort, excellent build quality and in your price range.

They are open back however.

If you must have closed back - then some kind of Beyerdynamic or AKG headphone probably makes sense. It’s hard to beat the openness and transparency of an open back headphone though.

Aug 23, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 22
I would suggest a pair of used / discontinued Focal Elear (there was also a Massdrop version called the Elex. Very transparent and dynamic headphone with good comfort, excellent build quality and in your price range.

They are open back however.

If you must have closed back - then some kind of Beyerdynamic or AKG headphone probably makes sense. It’s hard to beat the openness and transparency of an open back headphone though.
Are you talking about a model that was discontinued? Focal's website still has them for sale for $1000. Just want to make sure I'm researching what you're actually talking about. I never realized you could get such sweet deals on head-fi with used headphones, but it seems strange to me that most require me to have good selling/buying feedback. How do I get that when I've just started? lol

Aug 23, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 22
If it comes to Focal keep an eye on the elegia.
Another top of the notch is the Pioneer SE-Monitor 5, i highly recommend.

Aug 23, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #11 of 22
If it comes to Focal keep an eye on the elegia.
Another top of the notch is the Pioneer SE-Monitor 5, i highly recommend.
Would you consider the Elegia to be superior to the Elear? Not that price proves superiority, but it's $100 cheaper on Focal's website. To the uneducated (me) it would seem to be the next rung down.

Aug 23, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #12 of 22
I"ve never compared them side by side.
The best closed one i've ever tried is the Monitor 5.
Elegia is less natural than the elear, imo.
But this belongs thou their closed back.

Out of memory its hardly to describe.
If its suitable for you its better to listen to them before buying on of them.

IMO, the pioneer is worth a try.
I've demo'd the monitor 5 against Denon D7200 and SE-Master 1, where i've set the Monitor 5 on my wishlist.

But things went through and i'm fully satisfied with my Quad Era-1. :L3000:

Aug 23, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #13 of 22
Are you talking about a model that was discontinued? Focal's website still has them for sale for $1000. Just want to make sure I'm researching what you're actually talking about. I never realized you could get such sweet deals on head-fi with used headphones, but it seems strange to me that most require me to have good selling/buying feedback. How do I get that when I've just started? lol

Focals website will actually direct you to a local dealer - who will tell you the elear is discontinued. However you can buy them new on closeout from a lot of different places online at $500-600 (your target price). No “feedback” required!

The Elegias are good headphones - but closed back - and are not discontinued, so MSRP is $900 - outside your price target.

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #14 of 22
Focals website will actually direct you to a local dealer - who will tell you the elear is discontinued. However you can buy them new on closeout from a lot of different places online at $500-600 (your target price). No “feedback” required!

The Elegias are good headphones - but closed back - and are not discontinued, so MSRP is $900 - outside your price target.
Gotcha, thanks! Looks like all the places near me are sold out, so I'm out of luck on the Elear. Oh, well, if it really comes down to it there are several for sale on the forums here.

Thanks for the feedback, Chris! I'll definitely keep an eye out for the SE-Master 5 and Monitor 1.

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #15 of 22
more comfort issues.

I think you should look into the Mr.Speakers Aeon Flow Closed. It can be had a bit above budget,or you can find a used pair.
Extremely comfortable,easy to drive,closed back. One of the more 'natural' sounding headphones Ive heard.

Im a big ZMF fan boy but I wouldnt recommend the Blackwoods. Theyre extremely warm sounding with tons of bass. Theyre fun for electronica,but when I think of natural sound,Blackwood isnt one I think of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back