National LH0033 buffers
May 18, 2005 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tyre

100+ Head-Fier
These don't come around very often...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...515354437&rd=1

Someone should buy them and give a few to me.
wink.gif

May 18, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 10
I had a damn shoe box full at one time from some who worked at the local National Semi plant,long since gone from here.Now I am down to two still in the conductive foam but my prize is the two LH0066 buffers in an eight lead TO case that came with factory monster heat sinks of 1.5x4x5
eek.gif

The two are very close in topolgy but the '66 has a darlington output stage and since it is so damn pretty i mounted it on a board "open frame" with power supply,input and output connectors so it is a kind "plug-and-play" buffer that i can use at a whim
cool.gif

May 19, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
I had a damn shoe box full at one time from some who worked at the local National Semi plant,long since gone from here.

Hmm, I wish I had been around for this hobby a few years ago when some of these things were still available like the Elantec EL2008/2009, National Semi LM6121 and the LH0033/0063 buffers.

Just wondering, but has anyone tried the now obsolete OPA671? I've never heard anyone mention it before. It's almost as fast as the OPA637 and it is unity gain stable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peranders
I sold mine for 28 USD..... and they were new and in mint condition. Those above are used for 69 USD!

Ten buffers for $69 comes out to about $7 each. That doesn't seem to bad to me. The only place that I could find that still sells the LH0033 new is futurlec.com for about $17 each.

May 19, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre
Ten buffers for $69 comes out to about $7 each. That doesn't seem to bad to me. The only place that I could find that still sells the LH0033 new is futurlec.com for about $17 each.

If people think the price is decent, perhaps this is a good place for a group buy. I'd be in for a couple (~2 to 4) to play with, but I don't need 10. I am all about the buffered passive pre these days.

-d

May 19, 2005 at 10:50 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
If people think the price is decent, perhaps this is a good place for a group buy. I'd be in for a couple (~2 to 4) to play with, but I don't need 10.

I think if we were going to do a group buy, we might as well just buy them retail from an obsolete parts vendor like 2ndsrc.com. Although they might not sell to individuals.

May 19, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre
I think if we were going to do a group buy, we might as well just buy them retail from an obsolete parts vendor like 2ndsrc.com. Although they might not sell to individuals.

Probably a good idea. I wouldn't be surprised if the prices is higher, however. I found BUF-03's at Rochester Electronics (www.rocelec.com) but they were from $18 to 28 per depending on type. I ended up passing on them, though in hindsight, considering how much everything else in my project cost, this shouldn't have been a deal breaker.

Anyway, I am in no hurry, but at some point I would be interested in doing a GB for some old buffers.

-d

May 19, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 10
I used to work on the LH0002 for National. The LH0033 is very similar to the LH0002 except they have JFET input.

All these buffers are actually hybrid and can be built with a handful of transistors. If you go discrete on this, it only gonna cost you about a buck.

May 20, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

All these buffers are actually hybrid and can be built with a handful of transistors. If you go discrete on this, it only gonna cost you about a buck.

That was the intial draw for me.The circuit is more of a discrete module than it is integrated circuit,kinda like the old Sinclair amp modules which where actually a pcb with discrete parts internally but encapsulated to look like an monolithic IC.
the spec wh*res who design by data sheet would pass this one by because on paper no match for a modern buffewr but the reality is the sound kicks modern buffer a*s.
Not the highest bandwidth,current ouput easily beat by a modern CFB amp,square wave response not up to modern supechip "pretty" but still sounds way better in actual use.

Building one from discrete parts ?

Adamn cakewalk and has been the for all my discretre buffers for years.Design as a two stage amp and choose your operating points.Cakewalk.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back