Nashville Summer 2004 meet impressions
Aug 22, 2004 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

NightWoundsTime

A nice hunk of young man
Whoo what a day. Absolutely wonderful meet at a production studio on music row in Nashville. I'm up here for the meet and also have family and friends in the area.

The venue was wonderful. We had ample space with gear seperated over 4 small offices and the large central production facility. Very comfortable and there was space to get away and listen to some of the rigs at will. In attendance were Archosman, Devildog, Ph34rful, MrDetermination, ssblood, myself, and 2 non-head-fiers brought along by Archosman and Devildog. Also visiting us was Ray Samuels and his lovely line of amps
icon10.gif
In the same way Mikhail made Singlepower the star of the show at the last Florida meet, the Emmeline stuff really shone here. Ray set up in the main production room along with some smaller rigs. My MPX3 was in one room along with some Channel Islands gear including a new prototype headphone amp. Also Archos had a lovely but slightly ignored Audio Valve RKV Mark II. There was also a room with computer sources and old school MPX3 courtesy of Devildog and MrDetermiation. I didn't have a camera but I saw a few around so expect some pictures later on.

The most intriguing person there was of course Mr Samuels, who is really a very funny and knowledgable guy. I liked his discussions of keeping parts of his designs secret to fend off the DIY community. His conversations also revealed that he really takes the opinions of this community seriously and strongly dislikes when his equipment is maligned without a solid base for the opinions expressed. This is why he tries to attend every meet he can, and give people the chance to hear his equipment set up with a great source and interconnects. Ray, just build a "gray box" with higher quality cables and components, and make it transparent.
icon10.gif
It'll make me a lot more sure you're not trying to pull the audio wool over my ears.
rolleyes.gif
I'll go on record as saying that I did indeed hear a difference in your amps, and have heard that difference in the past. Nuff' said.

Ok that's enough for now. I heard a lot of stuff at this meet I'd been wanting to try out and as always got a great education from everyone involved.

Aug 22, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 30
I wish I could have gone, but I had to get a lot of stuff done. Last week before I head off to college and all.

Aug 22, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #6 of 30
I made it home in record time 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Needless to say it seemed like the other cars on the interstate weren't even moving...
evil_smiley.gif

I had a great time. You guys were great. And I hope to do it again someday. Special thanks to Ray for flying in, and bringing all his great stuff with him.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll post some impressions tomorrow after I have time to get settled.

Aug 22, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 30
Oh and here is a special gift just for Ray!

http://www.iupload.net/082004/kirstinkreuk.jpg
http://www.iupload.net/082004/kristin.jpg

Though I'm sure everyone else will enjoy them too...
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. Copy and paste the links.

Aug 22, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
?

lol
There is a reason I didn't hotlink.
tongue.gif

Aug 22, 2004 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 30
Wow! First let me say thanks again to Archosman for hosting. Your kindness and generosity were overwhelming. You are one of the most unassuming people I've ever met. That production facility is very nice indeed and you just act as if it's nothing. I could have spent the day touring the place. Anyway, thank you, Stephen, this wouldn't have happened without you.
Thanks also to Ray. He made this meet a great success. Even if he had not brought his wonderful equipment he would have made it a success. I learned so much from this man. He is a true gentleman. He has strong opinions about audio and can express them and still not offend anybody. I like that. I like hearing other's opinions when they don't have to criticize to get their point across. Ray spoke his mind all day and into the night without insulting anybody. (Okay, ONE guy, but he really does deserve it)
On to the equipment. I managed to compare a modded Emu 1212m against my unmodded. The difference was very perceptible. I'd have to agree with Iron Dreamer's scale. The modded one was a couple of notches above the unmodded one. It just had more definition and more punch.
I was also impressed with all the HD600s I heard. They all had the cardas cable and were very smooth. I would say there is a much bigger difference between the 580s and 600s than between the 600s and 650s. I hate to admit it, but I can see why some people might like the 600s better for some types of music.
I'd already heard the RS-1s, I liked them more this time around. They are a step or 2 above the 225s all around. I'd heard the PS-1s, I still don't see it with these cans. The CD3Ks, both stock and woodies, still aren't for me, maybe for some, but not me.
Now, on to Ray's amps. Bang for buck you can't go wrong with these. It's hard at a meet to really get a good impression about things like this but these amps impressed me. The XP-7's versatility is what sets it apart. It can be run from AC or it can be portable. I liked the HR-2 better but I was told that was only because it had a 797? opamp in it. Okay, I guess I like that opamp and the HR-2 just got out of the way and let me hear like it should.
I didn't get to hear music that I was familiar with on the Stealth, but there was no mistaking that it was way above the XP-7 and HR-2, and since they're way up there anyway that means the Stealth is in some lofty area indeed.
On to the SR-71. There's no way to get that kind of quality out of such a small amp. I'm now ashamed of my Cmoy, absolutely no comparison, none, not in the same league. This little amp of Ray's is a contender against all but the highest end home units.
Ray's amps have a build quality that is unsurpassed. He takes great pride in them. You can have your opinions, but Ray builds these things the absolute best way he knows how. He spares NOTHING in building them. He takes the necessary time and searches tirelessly for the best materials available and it shows in the quality of sound and build.
I am personally impressed by both Ray and Mikhail from Singlepower who I met at the Florida meet. Both of these guys are so nice and honest. They both let their amps do the talking and you can see the pride in their eyes when some looks at their amps. It's almost as if the amp is their child. Ray even names his after his daughter, and believe me, he loves his daughter. These guys are what make this hobby of ours special. A snappy Marine Corps salute to both of you.
I only took a few seconds to listen to the RKV and ASL and I didn't get to the Channel Islands gear at all. It got moved about the time I was going to audition it. I apologize for this. I know manufacturers make a lot of effort to get this gear out to us and I should have made it a higher priority. I am truly sorry about this. Some advice to those in the future, try to at least get to equipment that is being sent in by these guys. Usually it's very good and well worth the time it takes to listen.
All in all it was a very enjoyable day. As in Florida, EVERYONE was as nice and considerate as you can imagine. A great bunch of guys I am proud to now call friends.

Aug 22, 2004 at 1:35 PM Post #11 of 30
It appears that you guys had a great time. I would love to get a chance to listen to the stealth. That is one sweet looking amp. Ray sounds like an interesting guy from all I've read.

Aug 23, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #12 of 30
I'm sorry I could'nt make it and the wedding was lame as usual.

I'm glad you guys had a great time,meets are typically great fun and I hope to make it to the next Nashville meet when you guys do it again.

Ray is a blast ain't he? Tell me what he had to eat and I'm sure I got a punchline for it. He's great poeple and does'nt have a mean bone in his body. The folks that beat him up don't know him and have never met him. How many folks showed up? was this one of the nicer,smaller meets with buddies hanging around talking and listening? Those are the meets I like and if that's what I missed,I'm really gonna be upset.

Aug 23, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #13 of 30
Looks like you guys had a great meet. Were those R-10's?? I'm sooooo jealous.
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
Ray is a blast ain't he? Tell me what he had to eat and I'm sure I got a punchline for it.

Let's see, he had pizza for lunch and a sub sandwich for supper.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
was this one of the nicer,smaller meets with buddies hanging around talking and listening? Those are the meets I like and if that's what I missed,I'm really gonna be upset.

Well, that's what it was.

Aug 23, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
Looks like you guys had a great meet. Were those R-10's?? I'm sooooo jealous.
biggrin.gif

No, there weren't any R-10s. I think those are CD3K woodies you're seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back