Nashville Moon by Magnolia Electric Co - good stuff!
Oct 18, 2007 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Davey

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone pick up the 4-CD and DVD Sojourner pine box by Jason Molina and the band(s)? Some great stuff on these discs, but my favorite by far at the moment is the one he recorded with Steve Albini in Chicago, Nashville Moon. Really channels that early NY & Crazy Horse vibe he's so good at (maybe sometimes too good at, but anyway I can get that early Neil Young sound, I'll take it). Good music, good lyrics, great players, and goes without saying, but another nice recording by Albini, very sensibly mastered by Nick Webb at Abbey Road. Really have to crank the volume up, just like the good old days that most of us still remember, right? Hehehe, it is nice when you can play a new CD and actually have to turn the volume control more than a few degrees from the off mark. Goes to show, just like some people keep saying, the mastering engineers aren't always to blame for the crap we get these days
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, vintage Molina on here, like on the last Songs:Ohia record, that brilliant one that ushered in the new power company band name. Literally comes packaged in a very cool pine box with sliding birch plywood cover. And a medallion. Went out of print almost immediately when his label offered them for pre-order at $37 postpaid. Missed the announcement, so had to pay a few buck more, but still got a pretty good deal at $45 compared to what some people are apparently willing to pay (over $100 ???).

Apologies to those who frequent the SH site since I posted this there too, but I never get any responses there. Yeah, I know, I never get any responses here either, but I'm hoping the combined total will be more than zero
blink.gif

http://www.secretlycanadian.com/onesheet.php?cat=SC150

Oct 20, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone pick up the 4-CD and DVD Sojourner pine box by Jason Molina and the band(s)? Some great stuff on these discs, but my favorite by far at the moment is the one he recorded with Steve Albini in Chicago, Nashville Moon. Really channels that early NY & Crazy Horse vibe he's so good at (maybe sometimes too good at, but anyway I can get that early Neil Young sound, I'll take it). Good music, good lyrics, great players, and goes without saying, but another nice recording by Albini, very sensibly mastered by Nick Webb at Abbey Road. Really have to crank the volume up, just like the good old days that most of us still remember, right? Hehehe, it is nice when you can play a new CD and actually have to turn the volume control more than a few degrees from the off mark. Goes to show, just like some people keep saying, the mastering engineers aren't always to blame for the crap we get these days
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, vintage Molina on here, like on the last Songs:Ohia record, that brilliant one that ushered in the new power company band name. Literally comes packaged in a very cool pine box with sliding birch plywood cover. And a medallion. Went out of print almost immediately when his label offered them for pre-order at $37 postpaid. Missed the announcement, so had to pay a few buck more, but still got a pretty good deal at $45 compared to what some people are apparently willing to pay (over $100 ???).

Apologies to those who frequent the SH site since I posted this there too, but I never get any responses there. Yeah, I know, I never get any responses here either, but I'm hoping the combined total will be more than zero
blink.gif

http://www.secretlycanadian.com/onesheet.php?cat=SC150

A hand up from another Magnolia Electric Co fan.
What Comes After the Blues is still my favourite release from the group although I have yet to have a good listen through the Sojourner box set(buried under too many new purchases).
I was browsing AMG site and saw the large review of the set on the home page and was lucky enough to get a copy straight from Secretly Canadian.
The wooden box is a nice touch, very much like the much larger one Dust-To-Digital used for their Goodbye Babylon release a few years back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back