NAS Drive, Squeezebox, Macintosh ???
Jul 30, 2009 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

SunWarrior

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I've been delighted with my Squeezebox Duet, streaming from my iMac desktop computer, using my Channel Islands Audio DAC to convert the Squeezebox output into my main amplifier.

But I would love to run that music setup with the iMac turned off, streaming from a NAS drive (network attached storage).

Does anyone know of a NAS drive that works with the Squeeze Center software needed to run the Squeezebox, works with a Mac and iTunes -- especially Apple Lossless music files -- and works easily?

Dave, who found a audible improvement when he attached the Squeezebox to the CIA DAC with a coaxial cable rather than a fiber optic cable

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 15
I'd look into the new 1.2ghz Qnap NAS's. I've got 500mhz TS-209 II. On navigation with remote it's slower than PC server (especially doing random mix) rebuilding lib takes yonks. But when it starts playback it's fine. I'd buy the single drive model, no fan with a big HD.

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
Does anyone know of a NAS drive that works with the Squeeze Center software needed to run the Squeezebox, works with a Mac and iTunes -- especially Apple Lossless music files -- and works easily?

QNAP and ReadyNAS are the easiest ones. ReadyNAS is bit more expensive, but has also more horsepower. I have QNAP TS-209 Pro, which is a bit underpowered but I can manage with it. Built in twonkymedia and squeezecenter is very easy to install. And I would recommend at least two disk version, then Your precious collection will be safer in case of HD breakdown, which will eventually happen anyway.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 15
These quick suggestions are useful.

Although I am curious if all/some/none of you are using the NAS drives with a Windows machine or a Macintosh?

Since I have a Mac, and since some NAS drives that work easily with Windows don't work easily with Macs, that's a important distinction.

P.S. A side note on how Google can still amaze. To follow-up on my own original post, I just entered the keywords "nas drive squeezebox macintosh" into Google. And the first result that came up was my original posting from about only one hour ago!

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 15
The NAS drive connects to your router, makes no difference if you use a mac or pc, you load all the software on the NAS.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The NAS drive connects to your router, makes no difference if you use a mac or pc, you load all the software on the NAS.

What's the interface for loading all the software? The OS itself, or an application?

Again, a Windows/Mac difference?

And for Squeeze Center, for example, do you load the OS version of your main computer -- Mac in my case? Or a Linux OS version? Or what, for that key application?

Thanks?

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 15
lol mac users. This is NAS web interface. It's no different to setting up Slimserver, whether you install Slimserver on PC, NAS or MAC it'll look the same when you load up opera, firefox etc

nas6.jpg

The OS for the NAS is basically just a firmware image which installs itself. It'll come with the firmware installed but you can install newer releases as time goes by.

The NAS interface is a web interface. Again your PC or Mac operating system is nothing to do with the NAS, as long as your OS supports TCP/IP it'll work.

Jul 30, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #10 of 15
Some of these NAS like the ReadyNAS are fairly expensive. For that money, I'd rather buy a Mac Mini. I chose the DIY route using Solaris, and it's still cheaper and more capable than a ReadyNAS.

Another excellent option that is too often overlooked is the AppleTV. It is limited to 160GB capacity, but you can remote-control it from an iPhone or iPod Touch or use it as remote speakers for iTunes. My wife uses our AppleTV exclusively from her MacBook Pro, as it is easier to use than the Squeezebox 3.

Jul 31, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #14 of 15
I run Squeezecenter (the new name since Logitech acquired Slim Devices) on my Solaris home server using my own copy of Perl, MySQL and ALAC, but that hardly qualifies as a plug-and-play solution.

I am constantly amazed at how bloated and inefficient the software is. The Web UI is particularly unresponsive (the VFD UI on the Squeezebox itself is fine).

iTunes integration is wonky. Supposedly it has been improved in the latest 7.3.3 version but I haven't had the time to upgrade yet.

There are some things that annoy me mightily about SqueezeCenter, apart from the abysmal performance. They keep adding useless gizmos like a Tetris game, but flub on simple and long overdue items like allowing Composers to be separate from Artists.

If Firefly (mt-daapd) had better support for the AppleTV (well, any kind of support), I would have long ago ditched the Squeezeboxes (apart from the one I use as an alarm in my bedroom).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back