Narrowing the Decision
Dec 22, 2008 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nowickia

100+ Head-Fier
After a few other posts, the great feedback, and the hours and hours of reading the forum I think my decision is narrowing down.

I posted today about auditioning a few sets of headphones but unfortunately I didn't give them justice since they probably weren't broken in and they were played directly off my Macbook Pro.

First let me mention what I'm looking for:

MUSIC
I listen to a wide variety of music but about 70% of it falls in the classic and progressive rock category (Rush, Floyd, Ocean Size, Dave Matthews, and other stuff I'm finding on emusic). However, I do spend a fair amount of time to Pat Metheny and other jazz and classical artists. To me, instrument quality outweighs vocal quality.

BUDGET
$300-400 (I'd like to keep it in there)

PORTABILITY
It won't be leaving home

COMFORT
Quite important since I'd usually be using them for several hours at a time

My source will be my computer and a lot of the music is compressed MP3 at 192kbps or higher. I try to go better when possible but much of my music is coming from emusic these days.

I would be willing to get an amp, dac, or combo if it can be included in my budget.

Here's what I've experienced:

Please take not this was off my laptop, without an amp, and the phone probably were not broken in.

Beyer DT990- The balance between mids and highs was poor (highs too bright and mids too recessed)
Beyer DT880- Very well rounded but bass lacked in quantity
Senn HD650- Maybe a little too laid back and expensive but pretty good
AKG K701- I didn't really like them
Denon D1001 - Surprisingly good for the price but lost points in detail

Here's where I think I'm going:
Since I don't want to dump all sorts of money on expensive amps, cable mods, and a large pool of headphones, I want to find an phone that works well in most cases and can work without an amp or with a small "beginner" one.

For that I've come up with the Denon AH-D2000. After hearing the D1001s and reading numerous reviews on the D2000s, I think they will do the trick and keep my wallet happy. Sure they're priced around the range of the ones above but I'm guessing they'll give me better performance for the buck if I pair them with this AMP/DAC combo: Hotauido Mark IV.

The idea is that that AMP/DAC is supposedly very good for its price and would allow me to have a DAC for a future upgraded amp purchase. I'm guessing a headphone like the DT880s (or the DT990s if they would calm down) would be better for me if I was willing to spend more on sources.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 7
I think you're on the right track. FWIR, I suggest considering the D2000, DT150, or maybe a recabled D1000, each under $200 shipped. Then use the remainder of your budget for a USB powered DAC/amp like HotAudio's Mark IV or maybe a HotUSB1 + a separate amp. For more DAC/amp / amp options, I suggest posting and reading in the computer and amp forums.

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 7
It sounds like you would like Grado's. I currently have the 325i's, and had the 225's not too long ago. They are both very good for the kind of music you like. The 325i's are preferable to me, they are brighter, more refined, and have more impact on bass. The 225's were also very good, and most likely would not require you to use an amp, while the 325i's would be best paired with one. Both headphones have very good highs and mids. There are a ton of comparisons between the two on the forum.

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 7
Maybe I haven't given Grado a fair chance but I really don't like supraural headphones. If it wasn't for that I would definitely look into the Grados. Thanks though.

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're on the right track. FWIR, I suggest considering the D2000, DT150, or maybe a recabled D1000, each under $200 shipped. Then use the remainder of your budget for a USB powered DAC/amp like HotAudio's Mark IV or maybe a HotUSB1 + a separate amp. For more DAC/amp / amp options, I suggest posting and reading in the computer and amp forums.

Actually you bring up a good point. FWIR about the D2000s is that their cable is complete crap. Apparently it tangles and the cloth outside likes to get snagged on things. So I'd probably go something the route of the D2000 wiht an amp and eventually look at re-cable it.

Dec 23, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 7
Funny you should post this now as I'm in the same boat as you are in
beyersmile.png
I took my laptop under my arm and went for a audition today, you can read about it here. Difference between your and mine audition was that I listened to "The Ultimate Demonstration Disc Vol.2" in 24-bit 96 kHz flac using Foobar2000 and WASAPI. I've used iTunes (and 320 mp3) for a long time since I'm a iPod junkie, but since I gave Foobar a honest chance I haven't looked back - I'm now facing the tedious task of re-ripping my entire CD collection (800+ CD's) to flac using EAC
confused_face.gif
I'd love to buy the RipNAS PC... oh, I'm sorry! A bit of topic, lets get back on track...
tongue.gif

I think I'm going to go down the Denon AH-D2000 route, I tried them with and without the use of a headphone amp. To me, they're perfectly alright without a amp (have yet to test them with a dac). I did notice the difference when using the amp, but I can live without it until my budget (or to be honest, my fiancé
redface.gif
) allows a amp/dac combo purchase.

As you, I also prefer a closed design as it gives me the freedom to sit in the living room with headphones and a laptop as the rest of my house hold is watching TV - I don't disturb and I don't get disturbed
darthsmile.gif
I'm also a fan of using the headphones and laptop combination on my favorite café sipping on a latte while surfing this forum and listening to great jazz music
tongue_smile.gif

I'll go back for a second audition in the coming days, had a bit of a tight schedule today so more time with each headphone would be nice and not the least - fun! I'd also like to test the Denons coupled to a dac for comparison. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll end up with the Denon AH-D2000 sooner or latter - they managed to "creep in under my skin" and I personally liked the sound of them more than the others. The Sennheiser hd650 gave up a very good fight but eventually lost because of not being a closed designed headphone.

My point with this entire post is that the Denon AH-D2000 will work adequately without any special amp or dac and therefore they are the winners on my list.
smile.gif

Keep us posted on your progress!

Dec 23, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny you should post this now as I'm in the same boat as you are in
beyersmile.png
I took my laptop under my arm and went for a audition today, you can read about it here. Difference between your and mine audition was that I listened to "The Ultimate Demonstration Disc Vol.2" in 24-bit 96 kHz flac using Foobar2000 and WASAPI. I've used iTunes (and 320 mp3) for a long time since I'm a iPod junkie, but since I gave Foobar a honest chance I haven't looked back - I'm now facing the tedious task of re-ripping my entire CD collection (800+ CD's) to flac using EAC
confused_face.gif
I'd love to buy the RipNAS PC... oh, I'm sorry! A bit of topic, lets get back on track...
tongue.gif

I think I'm going to go down the Denon AH-D2000 route, I tried them with and without the use of a headphone amp. To me, they're perfectly alright without a amp (have yet to test them with a dac). I did notice the difference when using the amp, but I can live without it until my budget (or to be honest, my fiancé
redface.gif
) allows a amp/dac combo purchase.

As you, I also prefer a closed design as it gives me the freedom to sit in the living room with headphones and a laptop as the rest of my house hold is watching TV - I don't disturb and I don't get disturbed
darthsmile.gif
I'm also a fan of using the headphones and laptop combination on my favorite café sipping on a latte while surfing this forum and listening to great jazz music
tongue_smile.gif

I'll go back for a second audition in the coming days, had a bit of a tight schedule today so more time with each headphone would be nice and not the least - fun! I'd also like to test the Denons coupled to a dac for comparison. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll end up with the Denon AH-D2000 sooner or latter - they managed to "creep in under my skin" and I personally liked the sound of them more than the others. The Sennheiser hd650 gave up a very good fight but eventually lost because of not being a closed designed headphone.

My point with this entire post is that the Denon AH-D2000 will work adequately without any special amp or dac and therefore they are the winners on my list.
smile.gif

Keep us posted on your progress!

Haha, the coincidence. Since I really should start saving instead of spending the Denons keep looking better and better (considering they should be fine on a entry-level amp).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back