Narrowed down my headphone selection to these. Need opinions on which will be the best all rounders
May 13, 2015 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

talan7

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for new headphones that are hires capable for my foray into hires audio

Right now I burn all of my music lossless or purchase wavs from Bleep. I'm using iPod 160 gig or iPhone 6 plus 128 gig line out either to my car or to my Fiio E18 or Practical Devices XM5 headphone amp. The iPhone 6 sounds better than the iPod, more clear. My current headphones are Denon D2000, Senn IE7, Shure SRH840 (work), Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, Grado SR80e. Mostly, I use the Denons. 

I'm looking at either the SONY NW-ZX2 High-Resolution Audio Walkman 128GB MP3 PLAYER, Sony PHA3 PHA-3 Headphone Amp combo

http://store.sony.com/128-gb-walkman-hi-res-digital-music-player-zid27-NWZX2BLK/cat-27-catid-All-MP3-Players

http://store.sony.com/portable-hi-res-dac-headphone-amplifier-zid27-PHA3/cat-27-catid-All-MP3-Players;pgid=0x5iu_T8XJBSRpVYi3HLUCKD0000HR7eivEq;sid=KTM7OHHdfhJeOCSO6PpcPEHX5VAF272-F9ANAtKw?_t=pfm%3Dproduct_cross_sell%26pfmvalue%3D27-PHA3

or TEAC HA-P90SD High-Resolution Audio player.

http://www.teac.com/product/ha-p90sd/

The TEAC doesn't really need amp but I really want the Sony PHA3 PHA-3. 

I would like to see what the FIIO X7 offers but so far just a lot of speculation on when it comes out and final specs/price.

Any other player/DACS/headphone amp recommendations? Price has to be below $1100

My hires headphone choices are...

Which headphones would be the best all rounder and scalable for hires. On paper the Sony's have the highest frequency response but anything up to 40,000 khz should be good for hires audio

May 13, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 13
Is your next headphone for a home setup and not needing to be portable?

I too have owned the Denon D2000, HD650, HE400, and many others.  Of your choices the AKG K712 Pro is going to give you a nice rounded collections because it really sounds awesome due to the open design and slight bass boost.  The HE400 is not quite up to the sound quality as the others sounding somewhat monotonic at times.  The Philips X2 is nice, but not nearly as clear and open sounding as the AKG.

The others I have not listened to.

Hope that helps mate.

Give this track a listen to:

Urubus by Entheogenic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx8lHa79n5k

May 14, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 13
Hey. I want headphone for gaming. recommend for me Thank. 
gs1000.gif

May 18, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #11 of 13
I went to B&H in NYC over the weekend and auditioned some Sennheiser HD 800s. They sounded really nice. I used my iPhone playing 96 kHz Aiff, 48kHz PCM files through Onky HF player and my fiio E18 amp. I also listened to Sennheiser HD 650s. They sounded nice but my amp couldn't power them much. Funny, the HD 800s were much louder and brighter on my portable system the the hd 650s.  The HD800s impressed me tremendously. But what blew me away were the Audeze LCD3s, not on my system but on a stand alone headphone amp. Really nice!!! I may go for the Audeze EL-8s. I still plan on getting Senn HD650s. The HD800 are just too much for my budget. I listened to the Sony MDR-Z7, (the headphone I was the most interested in since they are hires and go up to 100,000 khz), but was totally unimpressed. Maybe they didn't like my amp. They had everything they need to sound good but just didn't do it for me. Not warm, low mids. Treble was good if I remember, just not what I wanted. i want to try the AKG 712s and Philip Fidelios X2-27s.  I really don't want to spend more than $400. I'll stretch to $6-$700 but they have to be awesome phones.

May 18, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #12 of 13
Looking at your current headphones, they are pretty solid mid-fi. If you are going to make a jump, take a big step and get something you like - like the HD800 for instance.

I've owned the SRH-840, nice phone, not quite accurate, but I used it for many years. So comfortable and useful in the studio. I replaced them with a Denon AH-D600 which was more spacious, had bass the Shures never had, and improved treble. The Denon was a fun headphone, and I moved on to the HD650. 

With the HD650, finally after many headphones (too many to list), I felt that it was getting me closer to what the music sounds like. They are great headphones, so comfortable (after flexing the metal arms). 

Then I went to the LCD2 - and they outpaced the HD650 by a stretch, better in all respects and with a linear low-end extension the HD-650 never had. 

I've tried the MDR-Z7s, really liked them but they are overpriced and can't compete. Preferred my HD650 and MDR-7550 in-ears for tonal balance. 

If not the HD800, you may be interested in going planar magnetic .

So perhaps look into the LCD2 as they can give you quite a bit of the LCD3 sound for less. The new EL-8 may be a really good choice too for their efficiency and comfort - though I'd want to listen to them first. 

Also, HE-500 and HE-560 from Hifiman. The Oppo-PM2 and PM3. All of these pretty affordable.

May 18, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #13 of 13
I really want planars as my next phone. I am really interested in the EL-8s. From what I read regarding the oppos, the audeze are better. I'll look into the hifiman. I plan on getting the 650s regardless as I can get them below $300. After my next full size purchase I'll be in the market for some new iems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back