narrow spades for really thick speaker wire?
Sep 14, 2004 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MichaelFranks

1000+ Head-Fier
I have two runs of canare star quad that I have haphazardly screwed into the back of my fisher 400. It works fine, but when things get shifted even the slightest bit the stray wires are prone to touch.

Anyone know of some very small spades (not much room on the back of the fisher, just regular screws) with room for very large cables? Rat shack didn't help a bit! I thought about trying to mod the inputs on the fisher but that didn't seem too practical either.

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance!!

Sep 14, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 3
While you could easily buy something that would fit your purpose (I believe cardas makes something simliar to what you describe), it will probably end up being pretty expensive to properly implement, and the sonic differences won't be huge given that you're using a fairly cheap wire (Using a teflon-based speaker wire would likely be a bigger audible improvement)

Anyway, have you consitered taking some sort of DIY approach to the subject? Perhaps wrapping the outer edges of the cables in teflon tape to prevent them from rubbing together would fix your problem. It's just an idea, but it think it'd probably be easier to figure out something that prevents the problem than buying a whole new set of spades

Sep 15, 2004 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 3
thanks for the tips!

it is bare wire now, I can certainly get by as is, but I thought a set of 4 spades would cost about 4 bucks max. I was primarily interested because it would make amp swapping easier, I am entertaining trying out a couple of solid state amps as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back