NAPOLEON DYNAMITE : Movie Impressions
Dec 25, 2004 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
[size=x-large]Interesting...
[/size]

This is a bit of a mind-bender. Not because it is complicated...but because you eject the DVD after it is finished and wonder why you bothered with it in the first place...

Then after about an hour - you think...it wasn't too bad now was it? Ive seen worse films before...
confused.gif

Is it "THAT" bad?? Yes...this movie is just a bit too vague and diffused to create any impression at all. You get to see a few good performances by The Mexican Friend (see...soo bad I cant remember the blokes name) and the uncle. The main role is a bit over done and could have been toned down a tad.

What am I making excuses for? This movie is crap and unless you have 3 feet of snow outside, nowhere to go and nothing to do - Dont bother
rolleyes.gif

Dec 25, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 24
No way! Just about every line was a quote.

I guess it doesn't appeal to all sense of humors, but I thought it was great. I'm not really a comedy type guy. My favorite comedies are along the lines of Airplane, Rushmore, or The Royal Tenenbaums. I can't wait for The Aquatic Life With Steve Zissou.

It appealed to my strange sense of humor though
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 24
It was a great movie that captures the subtleties and quirks of growing up in grade school during the 80's, and thus its most popular with the college crowd born and raised in America fed on good ol tater tots. But obviously a niche film in time-frame and experiences since its going to be a total miss otherwise.

Actually the more I reflect on those days as a minority growing up in mostly-white schools (where the only friends you end up making at first are the 'geeks' or other minorities), I realize how it strikes a chord with me. Its too bad my gf actually doesn't get any of it either but she never went through the same motions as me. I have a rather internationalized funny bone since I can laugh at american, british, or asian humor.

Dec 25, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 24
I found the movie flippin' sweet!

I have yet to see it on DVD, though. I had a rip of it weeks before it was released. Excellent, excellent.

Dec 25, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 24
It was the first movie I ever walked out on, and that's saying a lot since I've been able to stomach a lot of shiite flicks such as "54" and "Spiderman 2" and "Roadhouse"

Instead I walked over to another theater where "Harold & Kumar go to White Castle" was playing and proceeded to laugh myself silly.

Dec 25, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose Perez
Instead I walked over to another theater where "Harold & Kumar go to White Castle" was playing and proceeded to laugh myself silly.

I love that movie!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 25, 2004 at 5:52 AM Post #7 of 24
I think you have to have a very dry sense of humor to appreciate it. It's not a "Meet the Parents" or "Meet the Fockers" type humor. It doesn't make it's laughs extremely obvious, which at least the former tries to do.

I liked it. I love when the uncle throws the steak at the two guys and then the other brother says "That's what I'm talking about." It wasn't the best film I've seen, but there were plenty of good moments. If you didn't like "The Royal Tenenbaums" I wouldn't expect you to like this one. They're by no means the same, but their is an undercurrent that is common between them.

Dec 25, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #8 of 24
I haven't seen Napoleon Dynamite yet but I really want to because one of my friends said it was "the funniest movie he's ever seen." It's also interesting that his sense of humor perfectly fits what mr_superlove described... very dry and quirky.

Dec 25, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #9 of 24
I really enjoyed the movie. It was written by a guy that graduated from the high school I went to. It's strikingly similar to a lot of the people you would see in the hallways. The mascot is even the same (Indians). Aside from that the similarities end there though. Not that that is anything special, just thought I would share that bit of info.
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2004 at 7:58 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Dude
I really enjoyed the movie. It was written by a guy that graduated from the high school I went to. It's strikingly similar to a lot of the people you would see in the hallways. The mascot is even the same (Indians). Aside from that the similarities end there though. Not that that is anything special, just thought I would share that bit of info.
biggrin.gif

Ah, my hometown mascot is also the Indians!

Dec 25, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #14 of 24
Well, my sister got me the DVD for Christmas so I watched it earlier. I thought it was pretty damn funny at parts, but took too long to get going. Not the "funniest thing ever" like my friends were telling me but still good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back