Nanotube: the newest electrostatic amp by Kevin Gilmore!
Nov 24, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #16 of 36
if anybody should be interested in how to hook up the Circlotron Driver as an amp (for test purpose only)

The Carbon V5 and Circlotron driver board are very similar although there are a number of differences that require a bit of tweaking to make it work.
The biggest difference is in the servo part of the driver board and since the driver board is missing the A06 -  controlling the current in the tail of the output stage directly from the opto - it is probably not possible to run the output stage at 20mA as it will exceed the opto current capabilities.

The pic shows (I believe) everything needed to 'convert' the driver into an amp - I haven't tried to get the servo to work though.
The important alterations are: (not including servo - amp only)
  1. NOT populating the 10k/10uF besides the opto terminal (until it is actually gonna be used that is)
  2. parallel the 500ohm in the tail of the output stage with 150ohm or thereabouts (I just solder one on top - easy to remove again)
  3. adding 2x (100k + 100k) for feedback.
  4. adding 2x 5k1 ballast resistors to the output

This is as I hook'ed it up, and dialed it in for 20mA operation - has ran for some days 24x7 without any problems.

Dec 3, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #19 of 36
  Just what you said - "Nanotube" KGSSHV Carbon Circlotron!

Well, it's not clear. The Nanotube is put in quotation marks and is above the rest, indicating that it could be a nickname separate from the main name, and thus far, all the KGSSHV amps have had the KGSSHV part in front. But okay...guess I'll leave it in the shown order until I find out more.

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #21 of 36
only tubes of the solid state variety (as in fets)

currently thinking about an el34 version for 2016

Jan 21, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #22 of 36
A company is already asserting a trademark on "Nanotube," though not consistently as I only see it marked in one place on their site.

http://www.bluguitar.com/english/AMP1.html

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #23 of 36
A company is already asserting a trademark on "Nanotube," though not consistently as I only see it marked in one place on their site.

http://www.bluguitar.com/english/AMP1.html

JVC and doubtless other companies use the word "nanotube" in their products. (Though not necessarily in the product names.) It's generic enough to be a grey area.

A nanotube is "a tubular molecule composed of a large number of carbon atoms", for those who are curious of one definition.

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #24 of 36
  Just what you said - "Nanotube" KGSSHV Carbon Circlotron!

Hmm. Check this out:

you know that guy from capitol one that asks whats in your wallet.. well here is whats available now, or very soon

kgsshv-carbon is the best thing I can currently do with all solid state. I have listened to a number of the silicon carbide devices and
the cree is in my opinion the best of the bunch by a wide margin, even the cree data sheet lists "drives capacitive loads" now.
But you can put in either of the other 2 vendors parts if you want.
Available now in 3 different power supply voltages, and simple to complex power supplies. board files available now.

but you want tubes, ok

kgsshv-carbon-tube replaces the cree device with a 6ca7. So now you can tube roll.
Available in the same 3 different power supply voltages. board layouts available now.

but your wallet is still full?

kgsshv-carbon-dht replaces the cree device with 20B-V4 emission labs tubes.
no tube rolling, but "DHT TRIODE!!!" board layouts available now.

want more?

kgsshv-carbon-nanotube is a fully direct coupled circlotron.
your choice of the cree driver board, the 6ca7 driver board or the DHT triode driver board.
solid state circlotron output stage. lots of power supplies.  board layouts available now.

and finally soon there will be 6ca7 and DHT circlotron output boards.

Now the Nanotube part is at the end and Circlotron is not in the name, or so it seems. This makes more sense to me.

I like referring to things in a way that there is no confusion, though, and it looks like there will be many options/versions...but even the "basic" KGSSHV is like that.

Being merely an enthusiast and not a technical expert, I also don't know which options will yield the highest fidelity. I'm going to guess the last ones? (KGSSHV Carbon Nanotube with DHT triode driver board and DHT circlotron output board.)

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #25 of 36

Hmm. Check this out:

Now the Nanotube part is at the end and Circlotron is not in the name, or so it seems. This makes more sense to me.

I like referring to things in a way that there is no confusion, though, and it looks like there will be many options/versions...but even the "basic" KGSSHV is like that.

Being merely an enthusiast and not a technical expert, I also don't know which options will yield the highest fidelity. I'm going to guess the last ones? (KGSSHV Carbon Nanotube with DHT triode driver board and DHT circlotron output board.)

Have you check'ed out the latest gerber files? they show "Mamungkukumpurangkuntjunya" to be the final name ...

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #28 of 36
  Have you check'ed out the latest gerber files? they show "Mamungkukumpurangkuntjunya" to be the final name ...

fine, that's the new name.  do I put it on the driver, output or power supply?
or all of them?

Mar 7, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #29 of 36

fine, that's the new name.  do I put it on the driver, output or power supply?
or all of them?

Well, I'd suggest:

for the HV900 power supply: "Svalbarðsstrandarhreppur"

for the DHT the driver and output: "Surströmming" (in respect to the crazy swedish pilot)

The SiC driver/output:"Mamungkukumpurangkuntjunya"

The 6ca7 driver/output: "Vaðlaheiðarvegavinnuverkfærageymsluskúraútidyralyklakippuhringur"

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #30 of 36
... and for the case....   
Code:
[left] Allagamlalådankommerattgöra[/left]

wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back