Nano....How Weak is Amp?
Nov 29, 2005 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
I saw some threads over at the I-Lounge regarding how weak the sound (amp) is out of the Nano? I guess this is quite understandable due to the small but can anyone comment on this? One poster was using E2’s at max volume and thought is was only moderately loud. Now I am concerned which canalphone to match with a Nano as I had no intentions of getting an amp and I thought E2’s were among the most efficient? Hmmm?

Nov 29, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 17
My Nano is plenty loud. With my shure e4c's it starts to get painfully loud at about the 60% mark. Tried my GF's e2c's same result.

The guy that was saying maximum was only moderate must repair jet engines for a living

Nov 29, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 17
Yes, e2 are extremely efficient. At 1/3 volume out of nano on the bus things are very good and I often go lower when it’s less noisy. Same volume would be too loud in a quiet room. I think the person that complained it wasn’t loud enough on max just doesn’t have the best ears anymore, even if it’s a EU pod. My ears would bleed if I went any louder.

I believe it’s been mentioned that nano has same output strength of full size pods, which are pretty good. Even more so than my powerful iriver flash player, iirc it’s specs.

Nov 29, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro
I saw some threads over at the I-Lounge regarding how weak the sound (amp) is out of the Nano? I guess this is quite understandable due to the small but can anyone comment on this? One poster was using E2’s at max volume and thought is was only moderately loud. Now I am concerned which canalphone to match with a Nano as I had no intentions of getting an amp and I thought E2’s were among the most efficient? Hmmm?

lies..

Nov 29, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man
My Nano is plenty loud. With my shure e4c's it starts to get painfully loud at about the 60% mark. Tried my GF's e2c's same result.

The guy that was saying maximum was only moderate must repair jet engines for a living

Well, there are people who have said that Ety ER-4S's are adequate for powering an iPod. I would think that with this combo maximum volume would indeed seem quite "moderate."

Nov 29, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 17
Thanks, that's good to know. He probably didn't have a good fit either.
Do you think Super Fi Pros are overkill with the Nano?

Would ER6i's be more suitable? (I'm a little bit of a basshead, I like it kind of loud, I like E2's but want more high's). Thanks again.

Nov 29, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #7 of 17
My mate's Ipod can certainly power my old E3c's quite happily
cool.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Thanks, that's good to know. He probably didn't have a good fit either.
Do you think Super Fi Pros are overkill with the Nano?

Would ER6i's be more suitable? (I'm a little bit of a basshead, I like it kind of loud, I like E2's but want more high's). Thanks again.

If you're a basshead, the combination of iPod and ER's will probaby not be to your liking. I own ER-4P's, and I have found the bass reproduction from the Nano to be pretty poor when I use the Etys. The "bass boost" isn't much help. From what I understand from this forum, the Super Fi Pros would probably be more to your liking.

Nov 29, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DougGreenberg
If you're a basshead, the combination of iPod and ER's will probaby not be to your liking. I own ER-4P's, and I have found the bass reproduction from the Nano to be pretty poor when I use the Etys. The "bass boost" isn't much help. From what I understand from this forum, the Super Fi Pros would probably be more to your liking.

biggrin.gif
agree..

Nov 29, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #10 of 17
well when you're using the ibuds, you keeping cranking the volume for better percieved quality... and it never comes...

Nov 29, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

I own a nano....its not my favorite of my players . The sound volume is there , it gets loud. I own the E2s also....they aint my favorite earbuds ...bass is not there.
I can listen to the nano and be happy using my favorite earphones ultimate ears superfi 5 eb. The 5 EBS make up for the nanos crappy equalizer that cant produce good bass. The 5 EBS are very efficient and volume is great. However the nanos "amp" seems to collapse and distort at very high volume.......it aint the earphones ,they sound great at any volume level on a home stereo or my X5.

Nov 29, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #13 of 17
I never new Etys could power an ipod?!
blink.gif

The nano sounds very good, but I did find that the 5G ipod (and the other full sized ipods) sounded slighlty louder and powerful (to my ears that is!).

I have to say the Super.fi 5 Pros sounded excellent with the 5G ipod and nano; it was very clear what UE's intentions were when they were designing the SF5Ps. I'd buy the ipod in a jiffy, but I'm waiting for the upcoming neuros DAP.

Nov 30, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #14 of 17
I agree with the above, you're not going to like the ER-6i's unamped out of an iPod (or any source) if you are a basshead. I just recieved a PA2V2 though, and it makes a massive difference in bass response... they are absolutely perfect for me now.

I dunno where you are hearing that the Nano has a weak amp.. it's just as strong as any other iPod as far as I know. At least, I haven't even noticed a lack of volume on it. Not that you even need a strong amp to drive IEM's.

Nov 30, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_X
I dunno where you are hearing that the Nano has a weak amp.. it's just as strong as any other iPod as far as I know. At least, I haven't even noticed a lack of volume on it. Not that you even need a strong amp to drive IEM's.

Here's where I read it in one spot. Head-Fi is king, though, to get the most accurate and informative info.

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread...ght=headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back