Nano Durablity of headphone jack
Sep 10, 2005 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

sno1man

1000+ Head-Fier
Now that i have my nano for a day or so i'm liking it a lot. But i have one thing that worries me about it.

The headphone jack looks like a potential point of failure. I think that with most plugs being thicker than the nano, it will cause the jack to be flexed frequently wether in a pocket or just sitting on a table.

Even just inserting the plug if you do not put it in absolutely straight you can feel the jack wobble.

This may be nothing and they may have even designed it that way, but I wonder if I should go get applecare on it?

Sep 10, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 20
or something that amounts to:
- dummy dock connector (for stability)
- pass-through headphone port
- lanyard with guide for headphone cords
- in both black and white.

Sep 10, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 20
Yes... something like the iRiver N10 arrangement, which is really nice. There's two modules which you can click into the top of the N10, one with a neckstrap / headphone jack and another with a built-in earphone.

Sep 11, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
You know, an E3c/E4c with a lanyard mount would probably sell like hot cakes.

Who wants hot cakes? Boiling Gateau doesn't seem quite so nice...

Sep 11, 2005 at 12:24 PM Post #9 of 20
It's hard to be sure... especially when the potential sarcasm is so weak
tongue.gif

Sep 11, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
It's hard to be sure... especially when the potential sarcasm is so weak
tongue.gif

not sure where it's directed either.

My original point was that the headphone jack looks to be a weak point and any phone with a bigger plug (shure or otherwise) is going to stress it.

I would like some type of clip adapter that attaches to the nano say around the edges of the case to take the strain off, that you could then plug the phones in to

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man
not sure where it's directed either.

My original point was that the headphone jack looks to be a weak point and any phone with a bigger plug (shure or otherwise) is going to stress it.

I would like some type of clip adapter that attaches to the nano say around the edges of the case to take the strain off, that you could then plug the phones in to

This really can be a problem. Using a mini plug adapter with W2002s and a 1G iPod I had a stress problem that caused channel drop outs. To avoid this with my 60 and SA5Ks I clip the adapter to the case to relieve the stress potential. Of course, this would be a little counter productive with the Nano, so I'll just shorten the cable and replace the 1/4-inch plug.

Sep 11, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Just lop off the plug and solder the cable directly to the headphone jack contacts. Problem solved.

silly me!

I'll just add a soldering iron to my portable kit and while i'm at it i'll put in some super glue for the buds so they wont come loose from my ears.

Thanks for the helpful post
rolleyes.gif

Sep 11, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #14 of 20
while we are at it, dump the ipod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back