Nano+ALO+Xin+KSC75
Mar 10, 2007 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

kiwirugby

Headphoneus Supremus
After many hours on here reading and searching, bothering people on PM and emails and doing what I can to cull the best of reviews on the internet, I have fnally arrived at the smallest rig I own. Well, almost, I'm still waiting for my Xin SuperMicro!

Anyway, after a small hiccup with my new Nano and having to restore it, I now have assembled, the following.

1st generation Nano 2gb --> ALO Cryo Micro --> Xin SuperDual --> KSC75 recabled with a Blue Dragon

I have only classical music stored on the Nano using Apple lossless: 105 "songs" from 22 "works" and taking up 3.58gbs of about 3.7 allowed.

Compared to my other "portable" rig (4th generation iModded 60gb photo --> AIFF --> Wyvern AG16 --> SMIV --> 81DJ (re-cabled with Silver Dragon)/KSC75 re-cabled/DT880/K501, the sound so far (Brahms 4) is a little more restricted (roll off?) at the far ends of the frequency spectrum: bass can be a tad boomy and there is not as much sparkle on top. But I have to tell you the sound is really good; extremely good. There is the richness I expect from the strings; there is no sound in pauses, black as can be; timpani really full; good instrument separation; clear pizzicato; so far, no clips or fuzziness in louder passages.

I would say this combination is not as "open" as the comparison rig, but for something that much smaller I amnot sure I am losing a great deal here. I fear, however, that I am going to go through the battery quickly!

Anyway, I thought I would share a combination that I haven't read about much (not inexpensive, I know!0, but so far, I think I made a good choice. When I get the Xin SuperMicro, I will update this, assuming it's not months from now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back