Nano 5th Gen Dock Connector
Dec 11, 2009 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

iancraig10

Headphoneus Supremus
I have just received a 5th Generation Nano which I'm very pleased with overall. Just one thing to look out for.

The dock connection at the bottom uses a different combination of pins for the audio out.

My old connectors no longer work with it including a couple made for me by a Headfier which all work with the older Ipods.

Funnily enough, I bought a cheap, nasty connector from Maplin and it's the only one that works.

So, watch out if you're buying a nice expensive Ipod dock connector for the 5th Generation.

Ian

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 3
A good rule of thumb... the speaker that is showing up on new iPods (Nano, Touch) lately is whats throwing off the old LODs. If your iPod has a speaker it needs the newer iPhone type LODs. In fact I believe the only current iPod without a speaker is the Classic + Shuffle.

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks Pangea. Yes, when I connect the old plugs, the speaker comes on but connect the nasty cheap one (Logic 3) and the speaker shuts off.

The thing is, the guys that make dock cables for us on Headfi will need to make sure before they send them out that they work with the 5th Gen. I have a nice dock connector that is useless now. The 5th Gen plaugs work with old Ipods so at least they're backwards compatible.

These plugs are SO annoying. I just wish that Apple would supply a line out for a simple 3.5 mm jack. It would be so mush easier.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back