Nano 4G - lossless files?
Jan 27, 2009 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nycbone

100+ Head-Fier
My trusty 2nd generation ipod is nearing the end of its useful life. The battery doesn't hold a charge for very long and I'd like something smaller for commuting that will play Apple lossless files. I'm not worried about the reduced storage capacity - a 8GB will holds a day's worth of lossless music files, which is fine for my needs.

Has anyone experienced (or read about) issues with lossless file playback or skipping on the 4th generation Nano?''

I know that the 2nd generation Touch has serious (and apparently unresolvable) problems in this area.

My classic doesn't have any issues with lossless files.

Thanks.

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 9
I only have lossless files on my Nano 4G [well, with one video], and I listen to it daily for hours on end. Both through my Mustang, and on my Wadia iTransport. No skipping for me.

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 9
I own a Nano 4G. I only have apple lossless files on it with no skipping problems

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nycbone you could always just get a new battery for your existing ipod?

i mean form online and install it yourself, its not hard at all.

I have considered that ($25 for a new battery), but the old ipod doesn't fit very well in a shirt pocket, play lossless files or have a usb connector. I've been loading music files from a 9 year old clamshell ibook that's slow and has a small hard drive.

It's time to upgrade.

Thanks though.

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 9
lol so what you meant is i want a new small ipod im using the excuse of the battery going in my old one to justify it
jecklinsmile.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol so what you meant is i want a new small ipod im using the excuse of the battery going in my old one to justify it
jecklinsmile.gif

I can rationalize just about anything...:
wink.gif

I picked up the nano this afternoon. I choose the bright green version, but also bought a black speck pixel skin case/cover. The case obscures anything that's green, except for the button in the middle of the wheel. So much for my fashion statement.

The 8G nano holds >31 h or lossless music files, which gives me plenty of music to choose from for a few days of commuting. And it fits in my shirt pocket, even with the FiiO E3 if I decide to use it. Perfect.

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #8 of 9
mine is coming tomorrow, hopefully before work. I just made a playlist to sync to it and I was just going to do a few lossless but ended up doing the whole thing like that. I'ts a 16GB
smily_headphones1.gif
I didnt realize how much stuff I ripped to lossless lately. I dont plan to keep it like this but wow! How long is this even going to take I wonder. I might just save it for another time and drag as much as I can on manually before I have to go. Exciting stuff

Jan 28, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 9
I spent some quality time with it last night. I think the RE2s sound better straight from the headphone jack than with the FiiO E3. I'm still undecided about the KSC75, but those aren't too useful when taking public transportation anyway.

Edit: KSC75s are much improved with the E3. A great setup for taking a stroll.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back