Name your favorite Eric Clapton solo
Sep 15, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
"All Your Love" - man, when he was with the Bluesbreakers, I can just imagine all those wannabe bluesmen in the UK going "How the hell did God get that tone?" Just a haunting riff, lilting into a gritty 12-Bar comp, kicking back into a Roadhouse groove, awesome.

BTW, even a remastered version of this song by SRV doesn't reach the haunting lilt of Clapton's take on it with the Bluesbreakers. I just heard em back to back and yep - still like Clapton's!

Sep 15, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #17 of 23
A number of songs mentioned are very good. Nonetheless, they are studio recorded and four, five and six musicians are playing on the song.

The Song, Crossroads on Wheels of Fire is Live and performed by Three Musicians!

It is a breath-taking piece of work.

Sep 15, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
A number of songs mentioned are very good. Nonetheless, they are studio recorded and four, five and six musicians are playing on the song.

The Song, Crossroads on Wheels of Fire is Live and performed by Three Musicians!

It is a breath-taking piece of work.

Yes, Crossroads is very intense. What I would like to hear is the "original" version - I read that the version on Wheels Of Fire is edited. Don't know whether this means : i) same performance but edited down to a tighter track, or ii) different live takes sliced together. Anyhow, listening to the un-tampered version would be very interesting.

Sep 15, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

I read that the version on Wheels Of Fire is edited. Don't know whether this means : i) same performance but edited down to a tighter track, or ii) different live takes sliced together

I had heard that too. I went online. It seems Eric Clapton had stated that the track my have been shortened a bit. "Marc Roberty states, after inspecting the master tapes, that it was a complete performance." The performance was not edited.

Sep 15, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
I had heard that too. I went online. It seems Eric Clapton had stated that the track my have been shortened a bit. "Marc Roberty states, after inspecting the master tapes, that it was a complete performance." The performance was not edited.

Could these masters perhaps not be the raw live tapes?? It is possible that the master tapes have been "mastered" and thus already edited from the raw live tapes - which may not even still be existence today. Well, I suppose this really depends on the definition of what the master is.

Say in TV broadcast industry (my field), the master is often the finished edit with sound mixing and not the raw live capture.

Sep 16, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #21 of 23
The wah-wah solos on "White Room," particularly the outro. But I also love the Bluesbreakers album. Particularly the solo on "Have You Heard" and the instrumentals "Steppin Out" and "Hideaway."

Sep 16, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjjp2
The wah-wah solos on "White Room," particularly the outro. But I also love the Bluesbreakers album. Particularly the solo on "Have You Heard" and the instrumentals "Steppin Out" and "Hideaway."

Very true. But I think that "Tales of Brave Ulysses" has the best wahwah work--both on the studio version and in live concerts like the old Detroit bootleg.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #23 of 23
Great post Jubei and everyone else!

Sometimes having too much is as bad as not having enough. Played a bunch of Clapton that I have not heard in a while.

I had forgotton how good Derek and the Dominos Live at the Fillmore '70, is.

Keep up the good work and keep on Rockn'!
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back