Name the rarest hip hop albums you own.
Jul 1, 2005 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

bundee1

Headphoneus Supremus
Since good hip hop is a dying breed Ive begun to collect a lot of the music I remember from my childhood. Ive gotten a few good cds on ebay at reasonable prices but they are getting harder to find and the prices are going up. Im not talking about downloads, Im talking about the actual cds and LPs.

Chi Ali - The Fabulous Chi Ali
Showbiz and AG - Runaway Slave
EPMD - Out Of Business Limited Edition Double Album
A Tribe Called Quest - Beats Rhymes and Life (the one with the weird 3D cover)
Main Source - Breaking Atoms
Curious - A Constipated Monkey

Im still searching Ebay because I think all of the neethril has been mined out of NYC but on my next day off Ill put my Nike Air's on and troop up and down Manhattan.

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 23
I have a couple of DJ Krush albums. Is that one rare? What kind of a sound does it have? One is more hip hop while the other is more ambient/trip hop.

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #4 of 23
Hmmm, well I doubt there are many people who have 'unknown2scientz - Kaotic Conception'... but then again it sort of sucks. There is some ok stuff on it and it is funny to hear the Toronto references, but it kind of sounds like someone took Eminem and B. Real and stuck them in a room and forced them to work together.

ie. You catch yourself likeing it and then subsiquently hate yourself for it.
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #6 of 23
If its for sale at your local Best Buy, Tower, or FYE its not rare. Im talking about Kool G Rap and DJ Polo, or all of the Wu Tang stuff before they became famous.

Jul 1, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
does Dr. Octagon count?

If its Dr. Octagonacologist, then yes! Man, that guy is one sick puppy...i love it!

I've got some Black sheep, remember those guys? "Where's the black sheep, who's the black sheep...engine engine number 9, on the New York Transit line, if my train falls off the track, pick it up pick it up pick it up...jack!!!"

Classis
icon10.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 10:36 AM Post #9 of 23
Humm...not sure if by rare you mean out of print and hard as hell to find, or rare as in as underground as they get.

Hard to find (soon anyway...so bloody hard to find I haven't been able to get a copy yet...been debating for a while now if I want to blow $50 to get one off ebay): MF Doom - Operation Doomsday. Have to look through my cd collection another time to find something for this category, but that cd is the first one that comes to mind that I want sooooo badly.

Underground: THE best act in hip hop today - People Under the Stairs. Funky and smooth, great lyrics and ingenious wordplay (by Double K, anyway) backed by the best beats out there. Got all their albums, and if you haven't heard of them, then I URGE you to check their stuff out. Maybe not the most underground duo out there, but certainly the most fun and laid back (not a hint of that bling bling/gangsta gangsta crap most hip hop is plagued by), and deserve a lot more press/airplay than they'll likely ever see, IMO. Got some song recommendations if anyone's interested.

If you guys like Dr. Octagon, then you should obviously check out more by Kool Keith (under his alias Dr. Dooom, "First Come First Served"...really fuggin good horror themed hip hop...absurd lyrics and scenarios...much darker and more messed up than Dr. Octagon; great stuff) and Dan the Automator (his collaboration with Kid Koala and Del, Deltron 3030 is simply god like...one of my all time favorite albums...Del is simply amazing in everything he does, too, so check out his solo stuff and his Heiro collaborations with Souls of Mischief, Casual, etc). Probably didn't have to tell you guys, but for those not as informed, there ya go.

Jul 1, 2005 at 12:16 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrOctagon
Hard to find (soon anyway...so bloody hard to find I haven't been able to get a copy yet...been debating for a while now if I want to blow $50 to get one off ebay): MF Doom - Operation Doomsday. Have to look through my cd collection another time to find something for this category, but that cd is the first one that comes to mind that I want sooooo badly.

I didn't realize Operation Doomsday was that hard to find. It was in the used sections all over town last year. It is good, but hardly worth $50.

For rare I still have the Beastie Boys "Rock Hard" 12"

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #11 of 23
Thats what Im talking about Kane. I remember my brother having a couple of Kool G Rap cds and now he cant find them. Those cds are going for $30 a pop. I cant wait to have a day off and go digging.

Jul 3, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #14 of 23
I actually have a signed copy of a Redman vinyl LP.. if I could make out the writing on the cover I'd tell you what it was called...

*Attempt at reading it*
"Whut ? Thee Alsjum"

Whatever. I'm sure that's not what it is.

Anyway, can anybody tell me if it's worth any money?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back