Nakamichi SP7s
Sep 12, 2005 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

LoneFurrow

100+ Head-Fier
Guys, I have an old pair of Nakamichi SP7s that are getting a bit flakey. The rh channel is intermittent, and I need new earpads as the old ones have completely disintegrated. Is it worth me spending money on them to get them up to spec again, or should I just save the money and replace them? I'm thinking of something like the HD650s, SR325is or possibly RS1s?

Any advice welcome, thanks.

Sep 12, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #3 of 7
Jazper, all valid questions, thanks.

I'm using an LP12 & Naim CD3 as sources, listen mainly to rock / metal / blues and don't (as yet) have a headphone amp. My plan is to get a reasonably high quality headphone amp and new cans anyway, but I don't know if it's really worth doing anything with the SP7s as a backup. Budget up to around £1K UKP, but haven't listened to enough of the latest kit to have a clear view what I want. Tried the Stax SRS3030 combination, which I found disappointingly polite. Tried the RS1 / RA1 combination which I enjoyed but am not convinced the RA1 is the right choice. Haven't, as yet, listened to the "lesser" Grados and only had a very brief listen to the Sennheisers so haven't reached any conclusion there.

Thanks again,
Michael

Sep 12, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneFurrow

I'm using an LP12 & Naim CD3 as sources, listen mainly to rock / metal / blues and don't (as yet) have a headphone amp. My plan is to get a reasonably high quality headphone amp and new cans anyway, but I don't know if it's really worth doing anything with the SP7s as a backup. Budget up to around £1K UKP, but haven't listened to enough of the latest kit to have a clear view what I want. Tried the Stax SRS3030 combination, which I found disappointingly polite. Tried the RS1 / RA1 combination which I enjoyed but am not convinced the RA1 is the right choice. Haven't, as yet, listened to the "lesser" Grados and only had a very brief listen to the Sennheisers so haven't reached any conclusion there.

Thanks again,
Michael

Mike (hope you don't mind being called that), here's my opinon:

Try/buy ths sony MDR-SA5000s and look at a capable amp to go with them. I like the synergy they have with the M3 with THS4631 opamps (chips) as per my sig, but I hear they go equally as well with the dynahi - though I haven't verified this. From what I've read they don't like tube amps though.

You should be able to get both under your 1k UK pound pricerange. If you don't like them, you can always sell them in the For Sale forums here.

If you get a custom ordered m3, ask the builder to set the mosfet bias to 125mA, and as I said, the THS4631 chips.

I say all of this because they sound similar to the grado sound except they are more soundstageous and more accurate to my ears.

Sep 12, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 7
Jazper, thanks. I hadn't considered any of the Sonys but will have a listen. I'm not particularly competent with a soldering iron so wouldn't dare attempt to build an M3 myself, probably burn my house down. Are there any UK-based pro builders around?

I've been considering the Graham Slee Solo based on reviews I've read, although obviously haven't tried one out. Supposed to work well with the HD650s.

Too many options, too little time to explore them all!!

Michael

Sep 12, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Thanks again,
Michael

Sounds like you are a future Grado fan! I would recommend trying out RS-1 or SR-325i.

Sep 13, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Jazper, thanks. I hadn't considered any of the Sonys but will have a listen. I'm not particularly competent with a soldering iron so wouldn't dare attempt to build an M3 myself, probably burn my house down. Are there any UK-based pro builders around?

I've been considering the Graham Slee Solo based on reviews I've read, although obviously haven't tried one out. Supposed to work well with the HD650s.

Too many options, too little time to explore them all!!

Michael

Shoot Guzzler a pm and ask about him building it for you, he's in the UK. I don't advise going with the HD650s considering what you've said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back