nakamichi oms-7
Oct 15, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 10
I highly recommend not buying an old CD player. A cheap, modern DVD player should sound better.

Oct 16, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by clc220
yeah, i guess they were just legendary in the tape deck era's.

also a dvd sounds better ? i've heard very different opinions about dvd's ...

you can't compare cheap digital in the last few years with digital from a long time ago....

...much like computers.

Oct 16, 2006 at 9:59 AM Post #8 of 10
IMHO, some of the old Denon players will sound better than the newer, cheap DVD players...............like the Toshiba SD-3960 for instance. This and the SD-3950 were all the rage some time ago. I've listened to the 3960 against two older Denon decks, and the Denon units killed it. You're mileage may vary.

Oct 16, 2006 at 10:11 AM Post #9 of 10
I don't know about the OMS-7 but I assume it was a newer or higher end model of the OMS-5, which I have. The sound quality of the OMS-5 is excellent, even by modern standards, it is a reference quality player.

The OMS-5 retailed for $1k back in 1983 so factoring in inflation, if that were today's market it would have retailed for $1897, which puts it in the mid-fi reference cd player market. Like I said it is a very detailed cd player, and sounds great, the only problem it has, and I don't know if this was solved with the OMS-7 or not, but the laser has a tendency of just dieing for no apprent reason. When it was in father's possession he had the $500 pick-up replaced twice, in the time it was mine I had the pick-up swapped once from an OMS-5 with a crapped up chassis, and it has died again recently.

If Nakamichi fixed the laser problem with the OMS-7 and the sound quality is just as good, I'd say grab it. If the laser still breaks, don't. Nakamichi was bought out in the early '90s and parts are now impossible to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back