Nakamichi nk2030 "retro studio"
Nov 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

44west

New Head-Fier
Does anyone have any experience with these headphones? I am looking for another inexpensive set of headphones....I had decided on the 8323s for my next set. I just came across these for the same price and was curious if anyone knew anything. Thanks in advance.

61FPj1k7DiL._SL1500_.jpg

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 16
I have 2 of the lower models the NK890 and the 780 and they are very bass-heavy, they mellow out after you play with them for a while But most people here dont like that type of sound.  They sound better than the sony MDRZX series and they do tracks like "angel" by massive attack justice.

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #3 of 16
I got a pair at sears because they look like a knock off of the sennheiser momentums and I was a little suprised. They have a relativley clean sound with crisp highs, okay mids and a tight punchy bass. They are by no means an audiophile headphones but they sound better than anything else I have heard in this price range. I have heard that nakamichis in general are bass heavy but even with the bass turned all the way up on my equalizer, the bass was not overpowering. For the price, they also have a very solid feel to them and the head pad is very soft. The only gripe I really had with them was the cable that came with mine didn't work with the headphones and caused only one driver to work so I had to buy another cable. The cable it came with works for all my other headphones, just not the ones they came with lol. Other than that they are great.

Apr 10, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 16
I got a pair at sears because they look like a knock off of the sennheiser momentums and I was a little suprised. They have a relativley clean sound with crisp highs, okay mids and a tight punchy bass. They are by no means an audiophile headphones but they sound better than anything else I have heard in this price range. I have heard that nakamichis in general are bass heavy but even with the bass turned all the way up on my equalizer, the bass was not overpowering. For the price, they also have a very solid feel to them and the head pad is very soft. The only gripe I really had with them was the cable that came with mine didn't work with the headphones and caused only one driver to work so I had to buy another cable. The cable it came with works for all my other headphones, just not the ones they came with lol. Other than that they are great.

Your impressions of these are similar to those I had of the NK-900 Looks like my next Nakamichi Headphone to try out is the 2030. This is part of my quest to find the best sounding under the radar on ear headphones the worst ones I have heard are soundlogic dynabass headphones no bass at all hollow sounding. They use the same case as the Nakamichi NK-780 but they definately do not use the same cord. Or drivers. The venerable but not well regarded on head-fi sony MDRV-150 and the ZX100 sounded way better than the soundlogic.

The NK-890 and NK600 share the same black drivers. I assume the NK 2030 does too. The NK780 uses a white driver. but the NK890 and 780 sound closer to one another and are the most bass heavy of the ones I have tried.  The NK780M is the new version of the 780 I assume they use the same drivers as the originals.

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 16
lol the dynabass, nakamichi 780, and IHome Ib40 all have the same design, the nakamichi 2030 and sennheiser momentum look the same, and the nakamichi 900 and skullcandy aviators look the same. It seems like the whole line is based off other headphones which is fine depending on the execution. Like I said, they did very well with the 2030, it looks and feels like it costs a lot more than it does, plus detachable cords at these prices is almost unheard of and is always a plus. I did notice that at high volumes, (with the bass turned all the way up on eq mind you) there was a little bit of distortion with a few bass heavy songs but that is with the volume and bass turned up all the way (which should not be done anyway). As I said, I was really really surprised with these and would absolutely buy another pair. Beautiful cans, solid build, great sound for the price, you can't really go wrong with these for 30 bucks. Also since you're lookin for good cans under $30, I would recommend checking out the 2XL phase by skullcandy. They have a similar sound to the 2030 but not as sharp. the bass is a bit more recessed but still has plenty of punch to it. They have a more plasticky feel to them but they feel pretty solid. They also fold any number of ways for portability. I found em in a corner in walgreens for about $29.

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 16
Bought these at local Kmart and any volume setting above 50% the crackle and lack of clarity gets SO bad i thought they were defective! So i returned them and bought another set...just as bad.  Good build quality but WORST sound i have ever heard RP-HTX7 have superior sound quality and are around the same price as to JVC HA-RX700's and have superior build quality at that or if you are really budget concious tascam th02 are around 20-22$ and still Blow these away.  Stay FAR FAR FAR away from these headphones there is a reason you see no reviews for these headphones from ANY tech site or Headfi it's because they are virtually unknown and there are TONS of recommended brands/models at the same price or less WELL known with VASTLY superior performance.  To put it Bluntly besides the build quality these headphones have NO redeeming qualities and if you think they sound good i suggest you get your hearing checked and you most DEFINITELY know nothing about Audio(I'm far from an expert but hell...these are THAT bad).  I'd give you a more in depth review but they were so horrid beyond any reasonable volume setting they damn near made my ears bleed so for anyone who was curious about these AVOID! Even at 20$ on clearence they are the WORST set i have EVER heard even compared to Dollar store crap!

Iv'e seen people ask about this brand before so i figured i'd do this public service.

No words can describe how truly awful these headphones are for sound quality...NOne

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 16
Hey there, I've got a pair. They are currently on loan to my brother,  but they are actually quite good. They are NOT going to outshine high end headphones (except Beats, we all know beats are terrible) But now 30 Dollar Pair will. What they ARE is durable, nice looking, and good sounding. They have somewhat more bass than a flat sound such as My Audiotechnica ATH-M50x's but its not overpowering. I'd say their balance is similar to that of my V-Moda Crossfade LP, Bassy, but without removing or distorting Highs and Mids. All in all, I'd recommend them for headphones in that price Bracket. They Outdid my Sennheiser HD203's ($35) By a bit, and blew away the Skullcandy Uprocks I got from a friend.

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #10 of 16
These Nakamichi NK2030 headphones are very well-balanced, with lots of deep, punchy bass. The mids are clean, well defined, good presence - not forward or tinny at all - and the treble shimmers and sparkles. It's all there (20Hz to 20 KHz). Sound stage is also quite good.

They're also very efficient, and can play quite loud - sensitivity is 103 db +/- 3 db. They do not break up at all at higher listening volumes - especially in the bass regions. With a little EQ scooping (31 - 16,000 Hz) of the mids, I get these phones to sing.

The inline volume slider and built-in microphone with button switch (both on the cord) are very convenient and work well.

Each ear cup slides up and down on a calibrated stainless steel band, with a neoprene pressure ring to hold the cup in place. The cups stay put where you leave them. The cord is tangle-free fabric (attached on left side, which I also like - I never liked "Y" cords).  Also, the cord is detachable - an almost unheard-of feature at this price point.

Even though these are on-ear phones, I've found them to be quite comfortable for hours of listening.  Not fatiguing at all. They're also very light, in spite of their sturdy and robust construction.

I got them in black with red stitching - very attractive. I love these headphones, they're very sturdy, tastefully designed, and they sound great.

I even like these NK2030s quite a bit more than the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's that I had before - which were very lifeless and dull-sounding.  They were also uncomfortable; the headband of the 280's always put quite a bit of pressure on my head, causing considerable discomfort.  Although the design of the Senns is very clever and allowed for the cups to swivel and fold in different ways for travel, these cans proved to be rather bulky in use.

For $14.94 off Amazon, the Nakamichi NK2030 is a steal. I knew that I'd like them so much that I bought two of them. I can say that I am not disappointed.

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #14 of 16
Ahh..."Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve".  4 actual contact points on the plug. I wouldn't think that TRRS plugs are inherently bad, in and of themselves, so I wouldn't think that the fact that the NK2030 has this kind of plug is a ding against it.  It's kind of an industry standard, is it not?

Aug 23, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #15 of 16
I would almost bet that you had the cord backwards. I gave out a few of these to nephews as gifts and two of them called me and told me that only one side worked. Make sure you plug the cord in with the microphone end at the top. That was the problem with both of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back