Nakamichi NK-900 Mini-review.
Mar 13, 2014 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

RaymondLeggs

Head-Fier
The nakamichi NK-900 borrows it's looks heavily from the Skullcandy/ROC nation Aviators. They are foldable and they have a in-line volume control/mic/pause control button. the cable is terminated with a 3.5MM TRRS connector. 

Aside from the looks which are surprisingly nice, they provide a tight seal around the ear, unlike some previous cans that I have owned,
but is not too tight, although some may object to the fact the cups do not swivel and they come in at a slightly inward angle. 

The pads are breathable, firm and are much better than the ones on most other lower to mid- priced cans.And there is no felt/paper/foam covering the driver, instead, its a fabric that is part of the pad. I hate that tissue paper and that itchy foam and I am glad its not here. 

The sound. To sum it up, Surprisingly fast highs and mids (a bit bright in the upper treble) Good, tight bass response,  Surprisingly flat all around. they eat the Sony MDRV-150 the MDRZX100/300 MDRXD-100, and similar phones for breakfast.  Some people may not like the lack of thundering bass, if they are used to bass heavy cans like the Bose OE2 or the Beats by dre. (the beats have too much bass).

I would reccomend them if you listen to Americana, Jazz Bluegrass, or Chill/ambient or Trance or Alternative pop, they can handle dubstep and hiphop with ease, and not lose thier charachter if you do not overdrive them, or run them on a weak output like a small MP3 player.

The are nowhere near as thunderous as the NK-890 in the bass region, or as slow and grainy as the NK-780. 

I would say that they are in between the Koss porta pro and the klipsch image 1 in terms of sound. 

They are discontinued now so now they are going for pretty low prices,

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 8
I never knew Nakamichi made headphones. Thanks for making me aware
smile.gif

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 8
I think they are just licensed in the US by a company called WOW technologies to use the name, But who cares, these headphones sound nice, for the price. They also make sound-bars too, never had one though.  i almost bougth the sennhieser HD202, but I decided to take a risk and try these. I threw my MDRZX300's away! I'm going on a headphone purging spree! 

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 8
They used to go for $50.00 online 25 or so in stores now they are discontinued. Iwas going to buy the sennhiser HD 201 , but they were too flimsy so i decided to take a risk on something else and I have had it with low end sony headphones for a while.

Dec 5, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 8
Sorry to resurrect such a dead thread, but I was in a Burlington Coat Factory last night, killing some time, and I ran across these. They had about 10 or 12 pairs in black, brown, and white and they were all marked at $7.99 so I figured, what the heck. I bought them and tried them out, and they aren't too bad, especially for 8 bucks. They seem to not clamp very well which affects the bass but I may be able to bend the headband a little. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 8
Sorry to resurrect such a dead thread, but I was in a Burlington Coat Factory last night, killing some time, and I ran across these. They had about 10 or 12 pairs in black, brown, and white and they were all marked at $7.99 so I figured, what the heck. I bought them and tried them out, and they aren't too bad, especially for 8 bucks. They seem to not clamp very well which affects the bass but I may be able to bend the headband a little. 

Ha, I just bought a pair from there as well. And, they definitely need amplification. They sound like $7.99 headphones through my phone and Ipod.

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 8
Ha, I just bought a pair from there as well. And, they definitely need amplification. They sound like $7.99 headphones through my phone and Ipod.

I ended up returning mine. They sounded pretty good, but apparently my head is too big to get a good seal around the ears, so there was no point in keeping 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back