Nakamichi Dragon CD player
Mar 25, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 28
The last Nakamichi Dragon I listen to was a tape deck in the early 80's!
biggrin.gif

Your post brought back some good college memories, thanks.

Mar 25, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 28
Mar 25, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #4 of 28
I bet everyone from the album era knows Nakamichi Dragon cassette decks.

These were the cream of the crop for cassette decks.
Never knew they made a Dragon CD deck.

Mar 25, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 28
Mar 25, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 28
Rob

I followed some pretty hi end audio products in the late 80's to late 90's and it's not one I've ever come across.

I do know, as do probably many others on the forum, that Nakamichi were at the top end of the game when it came to tape decks. Unfortunately, I can't say whether their prowess also extended to CD Players.

Looks pretty though
rolleyes.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 28
He sure is ugly...
tongue.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 28
It also brings back great memories for me to hear the words "Nakamichi Dragon". Back in my college days (also early to mid 80's) I dated a woman whose father lived in town. He had "the Dragon", and it was the cleanest, clearest sound that I'd heard short of a reel to reel.

No idea whether the bloodlines are shared with digital products...it's obviously VERY different technology, up until you get to the analog out. I'd be curious to know more.

Mar 26, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

He sure is ugly...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper
If you can't say something nice...don't say nothing at all

I gotta agree with you though
biggrin.gif
That remote...maybe unique is a better word

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #10 of 28
Nakamichi's MusicBank CD transport mechanism is still being used by McIntosh.

As for the name "Nakamichi Dragon", it was also used for a turntable that self-corrects for off-centered pressed vinyl records.

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 28
Soundboy is spot on. "Dragon" was the name Nakamichi used for all their top of the range statement products. Apart from the famous tapedeck not many of these ever made it outside of Japan, as they came out in the 80's at the height of the Yen's strength and were therefore even more hideously expensive to import than they would be normally.
All of these products were stunning. Also Nakamichi patented a multidisc cd player transport that is widely used by many other manufacturers so they certainly have the know-how.
Shame Niro has moved away from his late fathers legacy to produce "lifestyle" systems under the once gilt-edged Nakamichi marque.

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
"Dragon" was the name Nakamichi used for all their top of the range statement products.

The model number "1000" was reserved for Nakamichi's landmark tape decks....such as its breakthrough cassette deck and its 2-piece DAT tape deck in the late 80s.

BTW, the correct name for the Dragon turntable was "Dragon CT". Here's a pic....

dragon.jpg

I remember seeing (and lusting after) it after it was featured in the old Stereo Review magazine's "Systems" showcase.

Mar 28, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
Shame Niro has moved away from his late fathers legacy to produce "lifestyle" systems under the once gilt-edged Nakamichi marque.

Alas... all too true. When I first got converted to the audiophile "faith," in the early 90s, Nakamichi was a top notch brand. When you say, cassette deck, the benchmark was Nakamichi. Their CD players had some recognition too... if I recall correctly, the Musicbank series.

But, after that came the lifestyle series.

I suppose it seemed a sound business judgement at the time, but Nakamichi has all but faded from the audiophile scene, and in terms of design conscious audio systems, they don't seem to catch up with B&O.

When I was considering an audio system for my bedroom, I pondered Nakamichi. But, after hearing the Soundspace 5(?), I was disappointed. The price tag is way too high for the sound coming out from the speakers (paper cones and spring clips - urgh!).

However, I did note that the build and operation of the Soundspace's CD changer / controller unit is top notch. A legacy of Nakamichi's talents in the producing components.

Mar 28, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #15 of 28

Users who are viewing this thread

Back