Naim Headline/NAPSC vs. Gilmore V2: Impression with Grado RS1
Sep 6, 2003 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kuma

Headphoneus Supremus
Playlist:
1.Kyoto Jazz Massive ‘Substream’
2.Larry Carlton: ‘Whatever Happens’ (Alone but never alone)
3.Marissa Monte: ‘Ainda Lembro’ (Mais )
4.Michael Franks: ‘Mr. Blue’ (Art of tea )
5.‘It’s a beautiful thing’ (Bossa Mundo 2)
6.Pet shop boys‘Footsteps’ (Nightlife )
7.Quincy Jones ‘Birdland’ (back on the block )
8.Squeeze ‘Tempted’
9. Bare Essential: ‘Blow My Mind’
10. The Maxwell Implosion: ‘L’Homme en Peluche’

rs1_naim.jpg

NOTE:
Headline does better in all Naim system in terms of overall clarity,pace and extension. In my system its full capability is somewhat compromised.
I’ve also tried Headline as a stand-alone unit skipping Nagra preamp. As Gilmore or Emmeline for that matter, its volume pot added congestion on top end as well as even flatter landscape. A brief listen without Nagra preamp resulted in somewhat threadbare top end and less decay. ( and this is supposed to be the same volume pot used in their new reference preamplifier )

I had to convert Naim standard DIN plug end to RCA plugs to work with my preamp.

I did not use aftermarket power cord on Headline. It sounded better with stock Naim power cord than NBS or Siltech I normaly use.

The both units time well and passed the Kuma’s groove test. They seem to be at home with Grado RS1. This is where the similarity ends, however.

The volume turn up all the way, Gilmore is quieter of the two.
naimheadline3.jpg

two outputs off a preamp (third balanced outputs to the power amp for speakers)

• Excellent midbass handling a la Naim. This amp takes more of new Naim sound slightly different from incisive in-your-face presentation of older Naim house sound.

• Upperbass grip is very similar to Gilmore. They excel at moving music along with a strong up-beat feel. Perhaps, Gilmore has more upfront presentation over Headline.

• Headline draws you in with a Realistic and immediate vocal rendition by projecting a lead singer forward while pushing accompanying instruments in the back slightly. Gilmore tend to give all the instruments the same emphasis. Take Michael Franks’ ‘Mr. Blue’. A background sax are projected behind the vocal on Headline whilst on Gilmore sax player is placed closer to the lead vocal. Overall Headline has a natural feel than Gilmore.

Conversely, Gilmore sustains the interst by adding enough sparkle and tension on the music. A stereo focus also is slightly stronger with Gilmore, too. It adds a hightened sense of acoustics. A lower noise floor on Gilmore might be helping out to get an absolute black background.

• Headline has bloomier low bass yet it doesn’t let go of articulation. its bottom end authority reminded me a bit of Concerto II push pull tube amp I normally use for RS1. Difference was that Headline has better defined impact on low notes. On Quincy Jones’ Birdland and back on the block, Headline had weightier feel than Gilmore yet remarkably it did not lose the pace. Most amps with hefty bottom end lose the details. Not Headline.

• Headline is a warm sounding amp than Gilmore and more forgiving of less than perfect recordings. Yet it passes through about the same information as Gilmore. its slight bloom and warmth is a welcome addition to make even the mp3 sounds fun and listenable.

However the warm tonal shading can make RS1 sound extremely colored in certain frequency. It’s not bloated as others, but, It seems to accentuate RS1’s already rosy coloration. Also, in this area, Headline gives a little softer landing on Kyoto Jazz Massive’s intro beats or a walking bass on ‘It’s a beautiful thing’, for instance. A big contrast from Gilmore which is more on the neutral side of things.

• Less congestion in uppermids than Gilmore. Good dynamics and robust sounding amplifier with touch of softness applied.

• Gilmore sounds more transparent in the midrange and linear in the bass line. This might be perceived as somewhat light weight bass for some, but a well- articulated initial impact of notes are important for the music to have the right timing. Both units track low end for Grado. Headline just adds wee bit more of roundness and imposes larger authority down below than Gilmore.

• The trebles have a softer feel than Gilmore and more forgiving of bad recording. I had to use Siltech G5 power cord (noted for its open, mellifluous influence on high frequency ) on Gilmore to maintain a better treble civility. With Headline, it’s not a mandatory. The treble delivery of Gilmore/RS1 combo stays clean and grain free, however, it is rather a heavy handed and misses subtleties. The Maxwell Implosion’s ‘L’Homme en Peluche’, whilst they do track well propelling drum beats in the background, none of the solid state amps quite deliver the butterfly like delicate female vocal mix, thus far.
On the same track, Headline makes an attempt to preserve a naturalness on the lead vocal whilst Gilmore try to nail it from stronger focus and vivid imagery.

• Pet Shop Boys ‘footsteps’, is still rough around the edges, yet does not get in the way as Gilmore. ( Gilmore is merciless of bad recordings )

• Headline still has the leading edges that pull music forward yet, it does not sound insignificant or out of place. It has just enough weight and decays to prevent common solid state artificial trebles.

• Stage property is still compact compared to tube counterparts. ( this is said for both units ) Jota and Concerto II still project the stage and imagery larger and make the music less directional. Meaning they make less cognizant of headphones. ( as if headphones melt away ). Also, both amps are still not dynamic as tube amplifiers I normally use. I have to maintain certain volume to come alive. Even then, a tonal shading is compromised.

rs1_gilmore.jpg

[size=xx-small]System:
AIFF files off Mac G4 ‡ Bel Canto DAC2-> Nagra PL-L ->Headline/Gilmore
Power cord: Siltech G5 (Gilmore ) Stock Naim pc (Headline )
IC: NBS & Chord Chrysallis hardwired to the headphone unit.
Source variations: Krell kps 28c
[/size]

Sep 6, 2003 at 9:42 AM Post #2 of 5
Again, a very nice review. I had one questions I wanted to ask (other than your source), did you have any upgrades done to the Gilmore, i.e. wiring, etc.?

Sep 6, 2003 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
Again, a very nice review. I had one questions I wanted to ask (other than your source), did you have any upgrades done to the Gilmore, i.e. wiring, etc.?

NOpe. This was a loaner standard V2.

Sep 7, 2003 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 5
I had another question I wanted to ask you Kuma. What is the usual position on the volume knob when you were listening? Do you happen to know what the gain of the Gilmore was set at? I have heard the congestion you mention but only at much louder volumes than i care to listen at, so my curiosity is roused.

Sep 7, 2003 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
I had another question I wanted to ask you Kuma. What is the usual position on the volume knob when you were listening? Do you happen to know what the gain of the Gilmore was set at? I have heard the congestion you mention but only at much louder volumes than i care to listen at, so my curiosity is roused.

I've played around with the position of volume controls between head amps and my normal preamp.

The best seems to be when the headamp's volume is all the way up. This, however, sometimes do not work with some amps that are noisy with volume wide open. ( both Headline and Emmeline generated more white noise than Gilmore. )

A degree of congestion gets even worse without a tube preamp in a signal chain. it's strange you'd think a simpler approach would lead to a clerner sound, but for some reasons, in my rig, a separate preamp actually helping to open up dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back