Naim headline and NAPSC..Any good??
Jun 6, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #2 of 7
Try asking here Naim Forum.

The Headline is best to work with Naim Amps as you would know Naim does not build their amps with Headphone sockets.
Regards
Mat

Jun 6, 2003 at 9:55 AM Post #3 of 7
luke,

Here are my impressions from an old thread, August 2001: Quote:

I have directly compared both, maybe two years ago: Earmax Pro and Naim Headline with Naim PSU. I prefer the Earmax.

Naim has a reputation as being very concerned with dynamic impact. This PRAT thing: pace, rhythm and timing, I guess. And in this regard, the Headline does very well. But the Earmax has an ease and naturalness to it, that is probably only achieved with tube amplification. It is simply more musical, fuller, warmer, with more ambient and low level information. Bass might be the only area where it is getting close between the two: The Naim has great control there, but the Earmax, that is certainly no slouch in the bass either, has more timbre and elasticity, which is especially noticeable with bass violin.

The Earmax Pro is musically more satisfying, without this fatiguing solid state glare. To my ears, the Earmax Pro is simply captivating. I own one.

My Naim Headline impressions are from 1999. It might be a different amp today.

Jun 8, 2003 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 7
I have an EMP and a Headline/Hicap and I much prefer the latter (but then I don't like tubes generally). I wouldn't use the Headline outside of a Naim system (why bother?) but in a Naim system, I wouldn't use anything else. It is a very good sounding amp.

The new Headline is not just a cosmetic change: it is said to be a big improvement, as well as being able to handle low impedance phones (the previous one could only deal with headphones over 150 ohms).

Ross

Jun 9, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 7
I very much doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back