Naim Headline 2 and Flatcap2x
Jun 2, 2010 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

downsize

Member of the Trade
I can not find anything on the Naim Headline 2 and Flatcap2x combo. This costs $1700 US, and I would just love to know where this combo stands in comparison to amps like the GSX, RPX-33, and Phonitor ...

I know from personal experience Naim makes INSANELY good CD players and pre-amps, but know nothing of this product.

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 12
The Naim Headline barely gets any attention around here, but if it does, it's positive.
I auditioned it with the HD800 some time ago, but found my Stax SRM-T1 / SR-Lambda Signature combo better. Unfortunately, I do not have experience with much other dynamic cans and amps, so I can't help you with a comparison. I did not have the feeling that the HD800 was underpowered by the Headline, but again, I do not have much experience with dynamic cans.
As a power supply I used a TeddyCap. Much cheaper than Naim's power supplies and (supposedly) as good as or better than a HiCap. At least it was a real good upgrade to my CD5X. You should look into it if you want to upgrade a Naim product with a power supply.
I think a problem of the Headline is that it gets expensive really fast, because you have to buy a good power supply for it and Naim charges a lot of money for that. That in turn means that the price/performance ratio is probably less than the other amps you mention. Third-party power supplies could fix that.
Bottom line: I think the Headline suffers from good competition, little exposure (around here) and the power supply issue.

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #4 of 12
I agree - I can understand a separate power supply upgrade on a budget amplifier where most of the money goes towards amp section and a reasonable profit, but the PS is such an integral part of an amplifier I'd expect a really good one on any mid to high-end product. Plus, it's a power supply not a microprocessor made from the latest and greatest near-nanotech 32nm production process, it's pretty easy for enthusiasts to find a cheaper substitute. 

Jun 13, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
I think a problem of the Headline is that it gets expensive really fast, because you have to buy a good power supply for it and Naim charges a lot of money for that. That in turn means that the price/performance ratio is probably less than the other amps you mention. Third-party power supplies could fix that.
Bottom line: I think the Headline suffers from good competition, little exposure (around here) and the power supply issue.

x2.  the difference between a Hicap and Flatcap2 were easily noticeable with my Headline2 and cd3.5, now sold, but not great VFM, even used.  as a DIYer, i would love to find schematics the Headline2.

Jun 13, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 12
Hey Michgelsen ....  Any chance you have photos of the inside of a HiCap or that Teddy power supply ?  I have someone who very well MAY be able to reverse engineer both the preamp and power supply by looking at it.

Jun 13, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 12
thanks for the photos Michgelsen.

Jun 14, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #9 of 12
No, I only have one of the flatcap2(x?) but it is of poor quality. I haven't searched for one though. These ones I gave you I had stored on my computer after I found them on the net once.
If you want to build a good power supply yourself, it's probably easier to use a design such as the sigma22 as a HiCap replacement. The sigma22 has a very good reputation as far as I know. For the Headline2, only a sigma11 would be needed (half a sigma22).

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 12
i don't know about the flatcap2x, but i use an old olive series hi-cap with mine and is easily the best i've heard, prefer it over even ear hp4!

the sound has quite a bit of character, you'll either love it or hate it, no in between, like grado.  i use rs-1 for what its worth...

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
No, I only have one of the flatcap2(x?) but it is of poor quality. I haven't searched for one though. These ones I gave you I had stored on my computer after I found them on the net once.
If you want to build a good power supply yourself, it's probably easier to use a design such as the sigma22 as a HiCap replacement. The sigma22 has a very good reputation as far as I know. For the Headline2, only a sigma11 would be needed (half a sigma22).

It may not be poor quality in terms of sound performance, but it does appear to be poor in VFM with a lot of unused space in the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back