Naim Flatcap vs. HiCap
Jun 26, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 8
Paging Kuma and the other Naimers..
etysmile.gif

Jun 27, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 8
digi-

Others will know better than I, and hopefully chime in, but in reading the Naim forum, most suggest to go with the best PS you can. With that thinking a Highcap would be better. I have not heard either, (yet) I just picked up a CD5 and am enjoying rediscovering some of my CD's.

I plan to purchase a FlatcapII soon along with a Headline2 and run that with my CD5 for a all-Naim headphone setup.

I will say though that my Ray Samuels HR-2 is doing a great job with the CD5right now. It will be interesting to compare how an all Naim setup sounds as opposed to my current CD5/HR-2 setup. Whatever I like better, the other is getting sold!
580smile.gif

Jun 27, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 8
opinions are fairly polarized. you must audition for yourself. in the UK, many i think, automatically go for the hicap because they are generally more plentiful and a bit cheaper than here in North America. since i have only heard a hicap on my cd3.5, i cannot opinionate on their differences.

i have heard a flatcap2 on my dealers cd5 and now cd5x many times. although his $10K fully Naimed Linn LP12 does sound better, for the money, i could easily live with the former and buy lots of music instead for the price difference. however, if you have deep pockets.....

if i needed to power 2 boxes (i do, and more), i think the flatcap2 is excellent vfm. i'm still waiting for my dealer to get back to me about selling me his ex-dem flatcap2. i suspect that my hicap will not be powering the the cd3.5, but rather the preamp section of my integrated nait instead.

Quote:

I plan to purchase a FlatcapII soon along with a Headline2 and run that with my CD5 for a all-Naim headphone setup.

excellent plan.

PACE

Jun 28, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead
Is the Flatcap a worthy upgrade to the Naim CD5x or should I just hang on and get the HiCap instead?

Just hang on and get a HC.

A HiCapped CD5X is quite special. ( it doesn't even have to be the current HC )
You'll be in for a nice surprise.

Currently, I have an idling Chrome Bumper HC, but I am not getting rid of it.
One can never have too many PSUs.
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead
Is the Flatcap a worthy upgrade to the Naim CD5x or should I just hang on and get the HiCap instead?

Just hang on and get a HC.

A HiCapped CD5X is quite special. ( it doesn't even have to be the current HC )
You'll be in for a nice surprise.

Currently, I have an idling Chrome Bumper HC, but I am not getting rid of it.
One can never have too many PSUs.
wink.gif

Same here. I have a chrome bumper Hicap along with a NAC 42.5 NAP 110. Still a great setup with my Linn Kan 1's and KEF Reference
Series 101 monitors (KEF's answer to the Rogers LS3/5A). The Naim Hicap is an excellent addition to any Naim component that is equipped to interface with it.

Flatcap is good, but Hicap is noticeably better. 😊

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back