Naim fans straw poll - is Grado the obvious choice?
Nov 1, 2008 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Wojtek

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm a newcomer, and having spent seveal hours reading your forum I felt this question was worth asking:

If you own Naim kit, do you prefer Grados ?

I've had to leave my Naim/Proac hifi at my girlfriend's on moving to a small room in London, finding after a few months that I really miss good music.

Grado sound like the best choice for pace rhythm etc. and can be driven by even an ipod but the ubquitous warnings about painfully bright treble makes me worry that plugging into ipod/macbook will sound unpleasant.

So... I'm considering the lunacy of going straight into buying RS-1's because of the slightly warmer sound compared to 325. Or should I just buy the 225's. And might go for the Little Dot 1+ hybrid amp.

Thanks

Wojtek

Nov 1, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 4
It might be lunacy, but it happened to me. I had just purchased a Little Dot III and was looking to move up from my SR-80s, so I auditioned the 325's and the RS-1s. There was absolutely no contest. I went home with the RS-1s though I really hadn't planned on spending that much money.

That was about a month ago, and I love the RS-1s a little more each day.

Nov 1, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 4
Get any Grado and you will likely love them. You can get the RS-1 or try the 60's, 80's or 225's and move up the chain if you like them.

I've heard many many brands and the Grado sound is my favorite.

Nov 4, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #4 of 4
thanks guys!

seems I can't reply to messages from my laptop, typing this at work. that's really helpful. I'll see how many pennies I have in the bank...

Out of curiousity, don't suppose anyone has experience of plugging headphones into a Meridian f80? It's got a digital input, could be quite a good one-box solution for a macbook optical out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back