Naim DAC
Jun 30, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #17 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DL3 was more spatial and detailed.

That's not what Naim is all about, and if you need that, Naim is probably not for you. I'm not trying to be a snob here, but I must admit I am rather happy with my newly aquired CD5X.
Naim stuff is more about conveying the emotion and tension that music can have in it. For me, the CD5X does a great job at this, while still delivering nice detail, layering and spaciousness. For the money, I'm sure it's not the last word in detail, nor in layering, nor in spaciousness, but those qualities get boring anyway. It simply lets me enjoy my music more. IMO, YMMV, etc.

More on topic: I hope Naim sells a lot of new dacs, without losing to much sales of normal CDPs. I won't buy one. I like a simple, standalone, one-box CDP for convenience. It's good that they offer one, for the Naim fans that otherwise have to buy kit of another brand.

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #19 of 60
That thing is just a plug covering the socket that allow an optional external power supply be added if you wish (i.e. an upgrade option). By adding an external power supply, sound of the DAC will be improved but at a price. Naim sells a range of external power supply, some very expensive.

Jul 2, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #20 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That thing is just a plug covering the socket that allow an optional external power supply be added if you wish (i.e. an upgrade option). By adding an external power supply, sound of the DAC will be improved but at a price. Naim sells a range of external power supply, some very expensive.

Thanks for the info ....

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #27 of 60
FYI: Din4/Naim XLR cables
din4_xlr300_500.jpg

The preamp end is still DIN.

Jul 11, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #30 of 60
There are currently only about 3 prototype in circulation, so only those who attend Naim Summer Road Show have heard it. Also due to the way the equiments are demoed, so exposure to the DAC is quite short (plus as mentioned on OP problem with the speaker setup). When the DAC roll out in Sept then there will be a lot more proper reviews/ impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back