Naim DAC-V1 & Sennheiser HDVD800
Feb 2, 2014 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

garysan

Head-Fier
Has anyone had chance to compare the above two DAC/AMP units? I'm currently using an Arcam irDAC connected to a Lehmann BCL > Sennheiser HD700's.

I'd like to get down to a single unit on my desktop and was curious how the Naim and Sennheiser stack up to one another.

I'd like to hear comments even if you've only heard (or have) one of them :)

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 10
but then again I'm talking to a rolex dealer. 

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 10
I've got the Naim DAC-V1 and it's quite lovely.  It pairs well with the HD800 but I really do think that you can do better for the money going with separates.  It could use a little more body (the amp) in the low end but believe me, when it's there in the recording, you know it.. Wow!  
The combo is simply amazing with stuff like Sinatra, Patricia Barber, Michael Buble, Keiko Matsui)and on the other extreme, Deadmou5 and Daft Punk. For an all rounder, I think the Naim would pair well with the LCD-X but falls a little short with the HD800.  I see you have the HD700 (I also had them) and I think you may find the same. The DAC is amazing and the amp section is above average but nowhere near TOTL.

With the Grado RS1i, there is more body in the lower registers and midrange and the combo is more forgiving of poorer recordings.  Depending on the genre and recording, I easily switch between the two.

I would really audition both of them with your music and headphones. I'd also take a look at the Woo WA7 at half the price.

I'm still going to audition the Sennheiser HDVA600 and see how it mates with the Naim.

Hope this helps, M.

May 20, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #4 of 10
  I've got the Naim DAC-V1 and it's quite lovely.  It pairs well with the HD800 but I really do think that you can do better for the money going with separates.  It could use a little more body (the amp) in the low end but believe me, when it's there in the recording, you know it.. Wow!  
The combo is simply amazing with stuff like Sinatra, Patricia Barber, Michael Buble, Keiko Matsui)and on the other extreme, Deadmou5 and Daft Punk. For an all rounder, I think the Naim would pair well with the LCD-X but falls a little short with the HD800.  I see you have the HD700 (I also had them) and I think you may find the same. The DAC is amazing and the amp section is above average but nowhere near TOTL.

With the Grado RS1i, there is more body in the lower registers and midrange and the combo is more forgiving of poorer recordings.  Depending on the genre and recording, I easily switch between the two.

I would really audition both of them with your music and headphones. I'd also take a look at the Woo WA7 at half the price.

I'm still going to audition the Sennheiser HDVA600 and see how it mates with the Naim.

Hope this helps, M.

MickeyVee - I have the HDVA driving HD800s right now w a DM+ and am looking at putting in a NAIM. Did you have a chance to test the NAIM with the NDVA600? If so, how was it?

May 20, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 10
I had a chance to listen to the HDVD800 but not paired with the Naim and not balanced.  So, no opinion :)  If you don't do HiRez music via USB, I'd recommend the Raga DAC which I have and love just as much SQ wise and it's way less than 1/2 the price of the Naim.
Quote:
  MickeyVee - I have the HDVA driving HD800s right now w a DM+ and am looking at putting in a NAIM. Did you have a chance to test the NAIM with the NDVA600? If so, how was it?

May 21, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 10

Ugh!  The Rega looks very interesting, but unfortunately does not support a balanced output (which is important to me). Even before trying to find a listening room, its been a challenge to find some clarity around a DAC (ideally without an amp - feels like I am paying for something I don't need) that matches my Sennheiser gear. Thanks for the recommendation MickeyVee.

May 21, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 10
  Even before trying to find a listening room, its been a challenge to find some clarity around a DAC (ideally without an amp - feels like I am paying for something I don't need) that matches my Sennheiser gear.

It is a far too common comment from people looking for a DAC that they are not willing to pay for any extra bits that they don't need on the DAC. But a DAC with less features is likely to have lower sales, resulting in a higher price. So you'll end up paying more for a DAC to do the same job with less features at hand. And when you are ready to move it one, potential buyers are likely to offer you far less because of the lack of features.

May 21, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #8 of 10
The Naim DAC-V1 does not have balanced out either :wink:
Quote:

Ugh!  The Rega looks very interesting, but unfortunately does not support a balanced output (which is important to me).

May 21, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #9 of 10

AAArrrggghhhhhhhhh!    Driving me insane... I'm just looking for a simple, moderately priced, balanced, world class, organic / musical DAC which pairs well with a Senn HDVA amp and HD800.....! Is that too much to ask? :)    The contenders at the moment are the W4S, Audio-gd, and the Mytek. At least I'm starting to narrow it down.

May 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #10 of 10
Take a look for a used PSAudio DLIII. Amazing DAC and SQ wise I would put it up against the Rega.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back