Naim CDX2 too Edgy and Bright?
May 4, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #18 of 38
Yeah, headphones just killed my ears after awhile though, at least Grados did.

I'm going to be looking for a 2 ch system in the $3-4K range (source, intergrated amp, speakers). A dealer near me has a Rega setup...Apollo, Mira 3, R1 or R5 speakers. I'm going to check it out.

May 4, 2006 at 7:11 AM Post #19 of 38
I haven't been using much Grado since I sorta have to use a closed can now for a late nite listening these days.
A W5k does not make me miss the RS1 much. Turned out it's a good match with a CDX.

A Rega is a good one to go after.
Check out the Creek gear, too.

May 8, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
JayGee.

I never cared for a bare CDX2 driven by a non Naim amp. It never workd for me both via RS1 or Wilson WATT 6.
And yes. It can sound bright. It gave me a headache with certain non Naim components. It doesn't have to be that way but it needs a careful matching with the rest of the system.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. You'll never get used to it.
I sure couldn't.
Adding on an XPS2 will transform this player, but that's gonna run you a few grand.
I've been running a CDX/XPS2 off a Naim headamp with AT W5k, and this pairing works. I reckon, you can get the used CDX/XPS2 at less than a new CDX2.
Funny.
Just over the weekend, I've tried a CDS3 in this rig and I still prefer the CDX/XPS2 in here. Interesting how everything works together or doesn't.

Yes. Naim works the best with standard Naim leads using DIN outs. I've been there and done that, too.

You can dumb it down by using others but why get the Naim kit in the first place?

KuMa,

Thanks for your input! I don't think I'm going to get used to it either, and I'm not ready to buy a new system or a multi thousand dollar to tame it.

Funny thing is that I usually don't find a little brightness to be fatigueing but like you pointed out the CDX2 has a real headache inducing quality at times that to me feels like there is more than brightness at work.

Do you think Naim equipment gets mellow as it ages? I thought that old gear was supposed to sound gnarly...
Jaygee
580smile.gif

May 9, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #21 of 38
Lol it's begining to sound like a wine. A properly setup Naim hifi, including CDX, powersupplies, amps, and definitly NOT Naim speakers has a vinyl like quality which I've never been able to match using any cdplayer here.

Naim speakers to my ears sound horrible, and it wasn't just the room, I've heard it in a few places.

May 9, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Do you think Naim equipment gets mellow as it ages? I thought that old gear was supposed to sound gnarly...

Nah.
Altho, old power supply ware might show up as a mellowness.
The mellowest Naim CD players are the CD5 and CDS3 but they are still Naim player in that both have thier house sound.

They are not the kind of players that appeal to everyone and I highly recommend a home demo.
You did the right thing by questioning if it's the right thing for you.

May 9, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

A properly setup Naim hifi, including CDX, powersupplies, amps, and definitly NOT Naim speakers has a vinyl like quality which I've never been able to match using any cdplayer here.

biggrin.gif

BTW, I've run the Naim speakers before and it also had a vinyl like dynamics and speed.
My room doesn't accommodate the DBL, so, I have been running an old pair of 'Briks and they sound just fine, too.

The set up does matter and apparently, you haven't heard them properly set up.
I've heard many of those.

Naim speakers do have a peculiar trait and not to everyone's liking for sure. Plus they do sound much better running active than driven passivly.

I was really lucky to hear the right Naim rig and finally understood what they are on about.

May 9, 2006 at 12:06 PM Post #24 of 38
Nah they were setup as good as they were going to get. I preferr the B&W sound myself. But not everything is to everyone's liking. This is audio we are talking about.

That said everyone seems to like the NAIM CD5X with a Naim poweramp under it
580smile.gif

May 9, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

I'm going to be looking for a 2 ch system in the $3-4K range (source, intergrated amp, speakers). A dealer near me has a Rega setup...Apollo, Mira 3, R1 or R5 speakers. I'm going to check it out.

awesome! keep it simple. if i were in the market, this rega kit would be at the top of my list along with a naim 5i combo - just add speakers and watch your music collection grow. although i can't imagine hi-fi without my headline2/hicap.

PACE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back