Naim CDX2 too Edgy and Bright?
May 1, 2006 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

JayGee

Head-Fier
A friend is going to be selling a Naim CDX2 CD player. This CD player has always sounded strangely bright and thin to me but as I may be able to get it for a great price I'm wondering if maybe some different cables or amp would bring a better sound?

I've usually listened through his Stax headphones which are also bright but even when doing some extended listening on my Senn 650s the sound was very fatigueing after a few songs.

Does anyone have direct experience with this CD Player? I'm probably not going to buy it but I keep wondering why the sound is so gnarly. It is a very expensive unit and the selling price is going to be about 40% of the list price so I don't want it to pass by without at least giving it consideration.

This is also the only CD player from Naim that I did not like when I listened to it. I've heard a few others and thought they were great. My friend insists that I will get used to the sound over time and that we go through this period of adjustment with all components.

Any thoughts would be appreciated......

Jaygee
580smile.gif

May 1, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 38
There is a lot of discussion of the CDX2 at Audio Asylum. There is one dealing with it in a K1000 setup versus speakers. Go to the General Digital forum and search for Naim CDX2. I have a much less expensive CD5i and love it. Nothing too bright or thin about it, imo.

May 1, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 38
Maybe it is that way as stock. It might get better with the optional add on power supply's Naim offers for it. I read where the stock CDX2 was not as good sounding as the cd5i unless you got the optional power supply for it.
tongue.gif

May 1, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
Maybe it is that way as stock. It might get better with the optional add on power supply's Naim offers for it. I read where the stock CDX2 was not as good sounding as the cd5i unless you got the optional power supply for it.
tongue.gif

I've read that the power supply upgrade does make a big difference. My friend is getting in the CDX5 soon. I am looking forward to comparing it to the CD5i.

May 1, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 38
Thanks for the comments,

That power supply is very expensive and together with the cost of the CD player puts it beyone what I'm willing to spend....

I've listened to other Naim CDPs too and not found them to be bright or edgy. I think the CDX2 is just a different sound from the other Naim CD players. I could take this thing on maybe 20% of my best recordings but it's too much ear pain over the long run.

BTW There is a Naim forum and there have been quite a few people there who have complained about the sound of this CD player so I suppose it's really just an aquired taste if you like an agressive kind of sound.

Jaygee
580smile.gif

May 2, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 38
A mate of mine is a NAIM NUT for lack of a better description. Every piece of NAIM from the 25 year old pre/power amps to all the modern cdplayers is exactly the opposite of bright and edgy. I can only assume something in his system is horribly wrong.

Naim also recomend using standard cheap cable for their interconnects and this seems to work just fine for the CD5x and CD5i. On these units the powersupply also makes a great difference in bass detail.

All NAIM gear tends to sound the same to me with the difference between models almost exclusively being the ammount of detail they reproduce. I'd ask him if you can borrow it for a few days to try it in your own system.

May 2, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #8 of 38
JayGee.

I never cared for a bare CDX2 driven by a non Naim amp. It never workd for me both via RS1 or Wilson WATT 6.
And yes. It can sound bright. It gave me a headache with certain non Naim components. It doesn't have to be that way but it needs a careful matching with the rest of the system.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. You'll never get used to it.
I sure couldn't.
Adding on an XPS2 will transform this player, but that's gonna run you a few grand.
I've been running a CDX/XPS2 off a Naim headamp with AT W5k, and this pairing works. I reckon, you can get the used CDX/XPS2 at less than a new CDX2.
Funny.
Just over the weekend, I've tried a CDS3 in this rig and I still prefer the CDX/XPS2 in here. Interesting how everything works together or doesn't.

Yes. Naim works the best with standard Naim leads using DIN outs. I've been there and done that, too.

You can dumb it down by using others but why get the Naim kit in the first place?

May 2, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

I read where the stock CDX2 was not as good sounding as the cd5i unless you got the optional power supply for it.

I don't know where you read that, but either a listener was deaf or the system was completely wrong to come to that conclusion.

May 3, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
Every piece of NAIM from the 25 year old pre/power amps to all the modern cdplayers is exactly the opposite of bright and edgy.

Really? They're laid back and relaxed then? I wonder if Kuma would agree with that statement, especially on the older gear.

May 3, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
Really? They're laid back and relaxed then? I wonder if Kuma would agree with that statement, especially on the older gear.

I find the old naim have a "raw" edge which makes them sound great for rock. We are talking the olive coloured ones.

But I find the newer naims more easier to stomach than the old ones. I thought the cds3 was very good when I home auditioned it.

May 3, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

I wonder if Kuma would agree with that statement, especially on the older gear.

Yes and no.
They can sound bright if they are not set up properly.
And Chrome bumper stuff doesn't sound that bright at all.

Have you given up yours?
Been enjoying my set.
biggrin.gif

cdx_xps2.jpg

...and this old *Olive* CDX does not sound bright at all. Sounds more like my LP12 to me.

May 3, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
But I find the newer naims more easier to stomach than the old ones. I thought the cds3 was very good when I home auditioned it.

Over the weekend, I've tried my CDS3 in a Nait 3R system whilst I was running a CD555 in a big rig.
Whoa.
Brighter than the CDX/XPS2!
The trebles lost all the substances.
Needless to say, a system compatibility matters.
I was surprised as I was expecting the better results than a CDX.

May 3, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
Have you given up yours?
Been enjoying my set.
biggrin.gif

I did give up mine. I didn't realize how expensive it would be to get the appropriate speakers, amp, etc.-blew my budget on the player alone, heh. I enjoyed it while I had it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back