NAD VISO HP50 thread
Sep 15, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #16 of 26
  Would you consider the HP50's a comparable replacement for the HE-400?  I am considering the HP50 as a closed back for use at the office since my HE-400s let in too much office chatter.

I've got both the HE-400s and the HP50s, and I think they sound substantially different (although both excellent). I wrote about it in a previous HP50s thread, so I'll just go ahead and quote myself:

Got mine a few days ago, and I've managed to listen to them for about 15 hours since. Not sure if that's enough to burn them in (or if these phones are even especially sensitive to burn in), but my overall impression has been quite positive.

I'm comparing them to HiFIMAN HE-400s, using a Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 driven via optical from my MacBook Pro. All the source files I've been listening to are 24-bit FLACs (or ALACs). I've also been listening to vinyls on what has been called a "toy" turntable, the AT-LP60.

Both sound dark to me, which I like. The HP50s seem to exaggerate the upper mid-range more than I'd like them to, which makes me like songs like Learning to Fly by Tom Petty much more on the HE-400s. I had similar results with Addicted to You by Avicii. My "staple" audition songs -- Take the Power Back by Rage Against the Machine and Crumbs from your Table by U2 -- sound excellent on both the HP50s and the HE-400s.

For me, the HP50s really shined with the vinyls. After listening to Invented by Jimmy Eat World all the way through on both the HP50s and the HE-400s, I have to say I greatly prefer the HP50s. I think the warm sound signature of vinyl (my setup, at least) goes very well with the HP50s and brings out some of the more subtle aspects of the music.

Everyone seems to be talking about the sound stage on these things, probably as a result of the "RoomFeel" advertisement. While these things certainly have great sound stage, I don't think it is significantly better than the HE-400s, but it is definitely different. For me, the HE-400s sound much more spread out (distance between instruments), and the HP50s feels narrower but deeper (variable distance from instruments). I'm still not used to the lingo, but I believe one would describe the HP50s as more "intimate" than the HE-400s.

A note on aesthetics -- these things look ridiculous. They actually look pretty cool when you're holding them, or resting them on a stand, but when you wear them you'll look like you have a handle on your head.

In terms of isolation, I found the HP50s to be way better than the HE-400s, which is to be expected, since the HP50s are closed and the HE-400s are open. I have the velour pads on the HE-400s and stock pads on the HP50s.

The HP50s are absolutely more portable than the HE-400s. I personally think that the HE-400s require an amp, and I laugh whenever I plug them directly into my iPhone. The HP50s, however, do pretty well being powered from my iPhone, and don't seem to gain much quality from my amp.

The cables that come with the HP50s leave something to be desired. They're incredibly short, although you can plug them into either side of the headphones, which gives you a bit of extra distance. This is fine if your using a mobile device that's on your person (in fact, the cable with the iOS remote on it is slightly longer than the one without), but pretty inconvenient otherwise, especially compared to the excellent cable length on the HE-400s.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase of the HP50s as my second set of "stay at home" headphones. If I can figure out what kind of cable it uses (it looks like a male-to-male 3.5mm, but I can't be certain by visual inspection alone), I'll just buy a longer and thicker one and I'll have no complaints aside from looking like a teapot when I wear them.

Original thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/697753/review-nad-viso-hp50/120#post_10789896

I want to reiterate that these really do look kind of ridiculous when you are wearing them. I don't really care, since my HP50s rarely leave home, but you might, if you're looking for something portable.

Edit: oh yeah, I bought the VModa cable to replace the stock cable and I'm very happy with it: https://v-moda.com/audio-only-cable/

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #17 of 26

Would you consider the HP50's a comparable replacement for the HE-400?  I am considering the HP50 as a closed back for use at the office since my HE-400s let in too much office chatter.

I've got both the HE-400s and the HP50s, and I think they sound substantially different (although both excellent). I wrote about it in a previous HP50s thread, so I'll just go ahead and quote myself:

Got mine a few days ago, and I've managed to listen to them for about 15 hours since. Not sure if that's enough to burn them in (or if these phones are even especially sensitive to burn in), but my overall impression has been quite positive.

I'm comparing them to HiFIMAN HE-400s, using a Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 driven via optical from my MacBook Pro. All the source files I've been listening to are 24-bit FLACs (or ALACs). I've also been listening to vinyls on what has been called a "toy" turntable, the AT-LP60.

Both sound dark to me, which I like. The HP50s seem to exaggerate the upper mid-range more than I'd like them to, which makes me like songs like Learning to Fly by Tom Petty much more on the HE-400s. I had similar results with Addicted to You by Avicii. My "staple" audition songs -- Take the Power Back by Rage Against the Machine and Crumbs from your Table by U2 -- sound excellent on both the HP50s and the HE-400s.

For me, the HP50s really shined with the vinyls. After listening to Invented by Jimmy Eat World all the way through on both the HP50s and the HE-400s, I have to say I greatly prefer the HP50s. I think the warm sound signature of vinyl (my setup, at least) goes very well with the HP50s and brings out some of the more subtle aspects of the music.

Everyone seems to be talking about the sound stage on these things, probably as a result of the "RoomFeel" advertisement. While these things certainly have great sound stage, I don't think it is significantly better than the HE-400s, but it is definitely different. For me, the HE-400s sound much more spread out (distance between instruments), and the HP50s feels narrower but deeper (variable distance from instruments). I'm still not used to the lingo, but I believe one would describe the HP50s as more "intimate" than the HE-400s.

A note on aesthetics -- these things look ridiculous. They actually look pretty cool when you're holding them, or resting them on a stand, but when you wear them you'll look like you have a handle on your head.

In terms of isolation, I found the HP50s to be way better than the HE-400s, which is to be expected, since the HP50s are closed and the HE-400s are open. I have the velour pads on the HE-400s and stock pads on the HP50s.

The HP50s are absolutely more portable than the HE-400s. I personally think that the HE-400s require an amp, and I laugh whenever I plug them directly into my iPhone. The HP50s, however, do pretty well being powered from my iPhone, and don't seem to gain much quality from my amp.

The cables that come with the HP50s leave something to be desired. They're incredibly short, although you can plug them into either side of the headphones, which gives you a bit of extra distance. This is fine if your using a mobile device that's on your person (in fact, the cable with the iOS remote on it is slightly longer than the one without), but pretty inconvenient otherwise, especially compared to the excellent cable length on the HE-400s.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase of the HP50s as my second set of "stay at home" headphones. If I can figure out what kind of cable it uses (it looks like a male-to-male 3.5mm, but I can't be certain by visual inspection alone), I'll just buy a longer and thicker one and I'll have no complaints aside from looking like a teapot when I wear them.

Original thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/697753/review-nad-viso-hp50/120#post_10789896

I want to reiterate that these really do look kind of ridiculous when you are wearing them. I don't really care, since my HP50s rarely leave home, but you might, if you're looking for something portable.

Edit: oh yeah, I bought the VModa cable to replace the stock cable and I'm very happy with it: https://v-moda.com/audio-only-cable/

Regarding a comparison, I have both two and wrote this in a PM to someone asking the same question:

Yes, I'll just throw some bullet points out:

1. Very sensitive, so don't need amping and play well from anything
  2. Everything sounds great out of them, unlike the HE400s, which can be harsh with certain recordings
  3. Very 'natural' sound, slightly warm if anything.  Realistic and neutral.
  4. Some treble roll off, which compliments the HE400s well.  No loss of detail with the roll off and amazing detail in the midrange, more so than the HE400s.
  5. Focus on the midrange, I suppose, but the bass is present, full and detailed.  Direct comparison shows the NADs to have a fatter, rounder bass than the HE400s, but don't present the sub bass quite as vividly.
  6. May have issues with fit if your head is big.  I have no issues with the fit and find them cosy, quite tight and nicely isolating.  Less weight and more snug than the HE400s.
  7. Maybe not as exciting as the HE400s.  The HE400s get more exciting the louder they go and can seem to handle limitless volume!  The NADs go loud without ANY hint of harshness or pain, part of that 'nice and smooth' character which is apparent.
  8. The HE400s have a definite signature, which permeates everything, the NADs seem to avoid lending any particular character or obvious colour to the sound, which translates as very neutral and natural to my ears.  Everything sounds right with the NADs and any attempt to EQ made them sound worse to me, which I think is a good sign.
  9. Cable is short on the NADs, maybe too short, but apparently, replacements from other brands work too, as it's a pretty standard jack connector.
  10. The HE400s may be a tad faster at responding and certainly sound a bit more quicker and energetic, but there is a complex lushness to the NADs that compliments the HE400s well.
  11. I find it hard to criticise the NADs at all.  It feels like I can plug them into anything anywhere and they sound great.  They just look a bit daft for wearing out in public, but I don't care!
  12. Packaging and included extras are very, very nice and give the feel of a real premium product.

Let me know if you need to know anything more specific and I'll try to answer it for you.  As you can see, I am selling the NADs quite strongly to you.  They are one of the best headphones I've ever heard and I especially like their versatility and neutrality.  I really feel like I'm hearing close to what the artist intended with these cans.

For longer listening sessions, the tight pads may get warm but I havent' experienced this yet.  Also, you may be disappointed if you want a bass-hyped, or generally over hyped sound - these don't do that.  They present the music with warmth, elegance and clairty without even a hint of harshness EVER.

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #18 of 26
I've ended up writing some impressions in another thread that I feel might be relevant to this thread, especially if anyone is interested in comparisons between HD598, HE400, NAD VISO HP50 and Sony MA900.  I'm also plugging the HRT Microstreamer to be THE MOST COST EFFECTIVE UPGRADE I'VE EVER BOUGHT IN NEARLY 20 YEARS OF INTEREST IN AUDIO GEAR.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663121/sony-mdr-ma900-impressions-thread/1365#post_10897701

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #19 of 26
I've had the HP50's for about 6 months now and they have recently acquired a minor, but frustrating, issue. For those who may not know, the headphones come with a detachable cable that can be plugged into either side. When I plug in the cable into the left side, I only get sound from the left. Although, when plugging into the right side, I get normal stereo sound. So, the headphone does work, but I guess I am worried that there could be some faulty connection and the right side could go out soon too. I have already contacted NAD and it seems my only option is to take it to an authorized repair center to get them serviced under warranty. Has anyone had any experience with servicing their NAD's?

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #22 of 26
Yep - most of the talk around this happened in a different thread - pictures of the velour M50 pads on it are there:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/718180/nad-viso-hp50-replacement-cables/15#post_11336686

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #24 of 26
Yep they do - look at this thread over on the /r/headphones subreddit (title is for the x2 but a guy in there used them on his Viso):

http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3afho3/so_i_just_used_the_hm5_pads_on_the_fidelio_x2/

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #26 of 26
Let's resurrect this thread.
I'm owner of HP50 for over a month.
In my opinion HP50 are the most underestimated headphones today. Reason - the low price. If Paul Barton and company put some wood, genuine leather and ask $1000+ for the same sound people wouldn't think they miss something with such cheap headphones. I've audiioned almost all contemporary insanely expensive headphones including Orpheus 2 and Shangri-La systems, the new Stax and HiFi Man lines, Abyss, the electrosatic shures, LCD-4, the new Grado GS2000e, etc. And as former owner of Stax SR-007mk2, Senn HD650, K701, Audeze LCD-2 and many other headphones I do not miss anything of the "expensive" sound while listening to HP50 with my Violectric HPA V200. And more: NAD VISO HP50 has the best bass I've ever heard from a headphone in terms of slam and resoluion. When well amped (!) these headphones are simply superb. But they really need good amplification. Portable gear just doesn't work.
The high-end electrostats has better speed, clarity and instrument separation but their PRaT and bass slam are not even close.
At this point I have 3 favorite headphones: Senn Orpheus 1 (sysem), Grado GS2000e and NAD VISO HP50. I hope I'll be able to compare the grado and the nads side by side and decide if it's worth to spend $1300 for GS2000e.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back