NAD Viso HP50 - Replacement Cables
May 18, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #47 of 66
Slightly - yes 

The covering feels like "cotton" fabric - however it still transmits "tapping" when you slide fingers or touch the cord. Not sure how you'd get rid of that?

May 20, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #49 of 66
I agree - I think its acting like the "tin can" telephones that I would play with as a kid - (connected by a piece of string and held taught) I guess physics is physics ! 

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #50 of 66
bumping the thread for experience-based suggestions.

i bought a viso hp50, and what a lovely pair of cans they are. i dig the sound signature with the factory cables, so i'm looking for something that won't change the sound radically. based on what i've read in this thread, i'm about to buy these cables:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0071MAQUY

i need something around 2-2,5 meters. any other suggestions besides the kabeldirekt stuff that won't break the bank either?

Oct 4, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #51 of 66
I use these cables:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201314246032?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Though intended for Beoplay H6 they fit my HP50s perfectly and are nicely made. Have very mild microphonics, but not enough to bother me! Only cost £10! Not sure if other lengths are available from this seller.

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #52 of 66
I recently purchased the V-moda coilpro cable for my HP50s. It has worked out well, but it did require some effort, so I thought I'd let people know. On the headphone end of the cable, there's a little tab that prevents the cable from being inserted into the HP50s. I shaved off this tab (it is plastic) with a cleaver, and now the fit is perfect! So, if you do buy the cable be prepared for a bit of surgery. 

Also, FYI, I don't notice any sonic difference whatsoever. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #53 of 66
Hey guys, I am happy to report the audioquest golden gate indeed improved the sound quality by a perceivable amount. I must say, I wasn't much of a believer of upgrade cable. This purchase is only because I like the look of the golden gate and hate the cheap look of the stock cable. I am prepared to hear no difference and consider it just an experiment on whether good cable does improve the sound. The result is suprising. The sound is improved, not by a lot, but the difference is definite there if you listen carefully. I would say the biggest improvement is the treble. It is cleaner. As a result, the imaging is better and the treble seems to extend further and a little bit brighter. The overall feeling is added finesse. The bass is more controlled, but the effect may result from the more defined treble. I highly recommend it for the sound.
One thing to be noted is that the cable is very stiff and rigid, bad for portable use. 

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #54 of 66
[COLOR=FF00AA]I have a HiFiMAN EF3a with a 1/4 jack. I found a cable which let me run without an adapter. It was only $6 but it improved the clarity and bass.

1/4" TRS to 1/8" TRS, 5 feet
Hosa Technology CMS-105[/COLOR]

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #55 of 66
  I agree with your assessment of the HP50's performance, but i find them reasonably comfortable. When I auditioned the PM-3's I felt that they were significantly better than the HP50's and this is why I plan on purchasing the PM-3's shortly.

Significantly better in what exactly? Sound stage, clarity, imaging?  Personally i love the sound of my NAD HP50 but have not heard the PM3 yet. I have heard PM3 are warmer sounding than HP50. Did you experience similar?  Personally I prefer a more neutral balance sound signature.  

On another note,has anyone modded their NAD HP50 to balanced setup and if so any significant sound improvements?

Dec 24, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #57 of 66
Thought I share a feedback here that someone might find useful. I decided to go with a QED Profile J2J. Listening to it after an hour of playing, the sound is significantly better. Soundstage is wider and instrument separation is clearer. Previously congested music pieces are no longer so. Overall tonality is also bigger and richer, with more information/music coming through with ease, and bass feels weightier and more authoritative. And one thing I'm thankful for, one side of the jacks is 'stepped' to accommodate mobile in cases so it fits perfectly into the HP50. Here are some pics. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #59 of 66
Those QEDs look great - wish they were available in the States...

Ya the red touches look nice with the HP50. Pretty sturdy too without being stiff. Only gripe is that it feels heavy compared to the stock cable. I think you can get it on eBay but postage may cost as much if not more than the cable unfortunately.

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #60 of 66
FYI I ended up with a 3.5 to 6.3mm cable from Hosa: https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMS-105-Stereo-Interconnect-Cable/dp/B000068O35/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1487023672&sr=1-2&keywords=Hosa+CMS-110+3.5+mm+TRS+to+1%2F4+inch+TRS+Stereo+Interconnect+Cable%2C+5+feet

I was using an Audioquest Tower cable, but it was too stiff and microphonic...  The Hosa is light and flexible, and I don’t need a 1/4” adaptor...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back