NAD Viso HP50 - Replacement Cables
Sep 30, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #17 of 66
HI, with the lack of comments i decided to buy the FiiO RC-MH1 on sale or return basis and can confirm it fits the HP50.

The cable is longer than stock and feels pliable yet thicker than the stock cable.

The sound is excellent and after running in? i will post comments on its sound versus the stock cable.

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #18 of 66
Comparing the FiiO RC-MH1 with the stock cable, volume matched listening to the fiio X5/e12 I would say that the Fiio cable sounds more alive and open than the stock cable which sounds dead in comparison.

This may well differ from user to user and obviously there is a timelag between cables so it could all be in my mind but i am happy with feel and length and seeming better sound of the FiiO RC-MH1 so it is a keeper

Nov 9, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #19 of 66
I just received this cable through Amazon. Perfect fit for the HP50 and cost is only $7.99 It is a german made cable.

It improved the sound quality dramatically!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DI89Z8E/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_1

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #20 of 66
I bought the HP50 headphones about a week ago and they are superb.  Every type of music I've listened to sounds fantastic.  (I spent a few hours listening at the shop.  I went with the intention of buying the PSB M4U 1, but side-by-side, the NAD sounded "wider", i.e., less like the guitar player was sitting in your lap rather than on a chair across the room.  They are much lighter too.)

I have no experience with different headphone cables.  I would like a cable about 8 or 9 feet long.  The ADL (by Furutech) iHP-35 seems ok but I prefer a nylon-covered or braided cable.  The price seems ok for a 3 meter ADL cable given the cost of the headphones.

Has anyone tried any of the Audioquest cables (Evergreen or Golden Gate)?  I'm not sure why they would be inappropriate.

Thanks!  

Feb 14, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #24 of 66
  Ordered it just now, will deliver in a few days, I'm curious about the difference.

I tried to compare the KabelDirect Pro with the original cable. I hadn't thought the difference would be large, but it is. The only thing is,  I'm still trying to find out which I prefer. Listening to my DX90 with or without the Cayin C5 the difference for my ears is the same. With the original cable the sound is more open and wide, but also a little more hollow sounding. Listening to a piano concert with the original cable it looks like it's played in a large, open room. With the KabelDirect it's more in a closed room, but also a little more fuller sounding. So I really am switching them on and on to compare and find out what I like more. For my taste the original cable sounds with classical music a little more relaxed, With rock music the KabelDirect Pro has a more punchier sound, so for this music I prefer the KabelDirect. Live isn't easy for us (but very enjoyable).   

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #25 of 66
  I bought the HP50 headphones about a week ago and they are superb.  Every type of music I've listened to sounds fantastic.  (I spent a few hours listening at the shop.  I went with the intention of buying the PSB M4U 1, but side-by-side, the NAD sounded "wider", i.e., less like the guitar player was sitting in your lap rather than on a chair across the room.  They are much lighter too.)

I have no experience with different headphone cables.  I would like a cable about 8 or 9 feet long.  The ADL (by Furutech) iHP-35 seems ok but I prefer a nylon-covered or braided cable.  The price seems ok for a 3 meter ADL cable given the cost of the headphones.

Has anyone tried any of the Audioquest cables (Evergreen or Golden Gate)?  I'm not sure why they would be inappropriate.

Thanks!  

Maybe instead of spending big bucks you should give the KabelDirekt. It comes in 10ft.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DI89Z8E/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_1

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #27 of 66
guys i just bought a new cable for my hp50.
and its MEDIABRIDGE from amazon. :)
http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Right-Angle-Stereo/dp/B00P17BEK2/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1424170939&sr=8-13&keywords=mediabridge+3.5mm

i will post some changes in the sound if theres any. :wink:

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #28 of 66
I'm going to join this to second the question Geogaddi raised.

I'm assuming no one had tried different earpads on these? I'm going to take a look at mine tonight and see if the pads come easily off/on. I have a few other pairs I can try. I'm thinking something larger than the stock and built circular may fit it they can stretch into the rectangular shape of the headphones. I had a similar experience with a pair of Fostex t50rps I modded, but in reverse -- I used HM5 earpads which were more oval shaped but were able to stretch over the more circular headphone cup. The HM5 pads were bigger so it just fit - very snug but fit.

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #29 of 66
Well sorry this was a quick turnaround - ended up having time earlier...

So larger pads (slightly smaller than AKG k-line size) of course are too big.

ATH M50 pad size though... Just fits if looking just a bit odd:

The fit looks odd but was just about as secure as the stock pads. I tried moving and tugging them a little and they didn't pop off. When I removed them to put the stock pads back on, I had to tug almost just as much as I did to get the stock pads off originally. So I don't think they'd just come off if moving around or anything.

Sound-wise, they did sound a little brighter and open. Just a little. The highs were ever so slightly muffled compared to the stock pads as I think the lining material in the center of the pads is a little thicker than the stock pads.

I didn't really test for too long but will probably try again later this week or weekend.

One note (completely irrelevant but I'll tell you anyway), was that I heard static in the right side at lower volumes. It was there when I put the stock pads back on as well - found out it was a cable/adapter problem. Switching cables out got rid of it. So... The listening may have been tainted a bit by that little problem. I'll know more when I have more time this weekend.

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #30 of 66
An update...

I've read some threads over on /r/headphones where folks used HM5 earpads on ATH M50s with success (a nice fit actually). Seeing as how I know the HM5 pads are slightly larger than stock M50 pads, I think they'd be a great fit for the NAD Viso HP50. They are actually really great earpads as well - very comfortable and surround your whole ear quite well.

Further Update:
I contacted NAD directly about replacement earpads:
Earpads = $18
Shipping = $20

Since the shipping is downright outrageous given the cost of the earpads, I'm thinking other options like M50 pads or HM5 pads are going to be a better choice for most folks :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back