NAD M5 CD/SACD player vs. Rega Saturn CDP
Sep 30, 2009 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

alancray

New Head-Fier
Brought a few CDs and visit the Hi-Fi store to audtion the Saturn. Forgot to introduce, I am using Rega Apollo CDP, NAD M3 Int. Amp, Focus Audio FC7 speakers.

The store owner suggested me to listen to the NAD M5 as well. I don't have much SACDs (maybe 10 or so) so I would focus on the CD feature. But I have to admit that NAD M5 & M3 together looks so cool. Anyway, the audition environment includes NAD M3 Int. Amp, and Sonus Faber Concerto Loudspeakers.

NAD M5 - I found the sound a bit too warm, not wide (open) enough. But the vocal really stands out ~ it seems like vocal is "pushed" to in front of me. Nice.

Rega Saturn ~ oh...Saturn is on special promotion and even the store model is gone. The owner hooked up a Rega Apollo 35th Anniversary for me to listen. Hmm, what can I say ~ could be my perception but it sounds & feels like the Apollo I have at home, except with slightly added clarity. I like the sound as I do at home, as always, but no surprise.

I have a few concerns with both CDP and would like to have your opinions if possible. NAD ~ made in China, the CD tray may not be good, but would it work perfectly with my M3? Rega ~ made in UK (cool), Top loading CD (good), but how much improvement over Apollo, does it worth the extra bucks if I am keeping my Amp & speakers for the next year or so?

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 3
I upgraded from the Apollo to the Saturn.The Saturn is a fine machine.Is it worth the jump in price only you can decide that.I thought it was.Also Rega is comming out with a new CD player called the Rega Iisi so the Apollo and Saturn will have a price reduction soon.

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 3
Have very much enjoyed my M5. Utterly reliable, and a great match with my tube headphone and preamps. Also rocks out with the M3. Great combo. Balanced XLR output is a plus, and price is excellent. Performance of units 3x price. Recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back