NAD - how good are the late 80s preamps or integrateds with pre out?
Jul 6, 2010 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

hal55

Head-Fier
I've seen NADs go for relative peanuts on ebay and I'm after a cheap pre with a clear, musical nature and a treble that is extended but smooth - something that will suit piano and close miked vocals without erring to hardness. From my hifi memory I think that NAD may fit the bill. Is the late 80s the golden period for them? I've seen some very ordinary reviews of the more recent stuffi use a Jungson JA99C - lovely amp but really does benefit from having the HF kept under control.

Thanks for any comment,

Hal55

Jul 6, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #2 of 3
Respectfully, high-end forum is probably a stretch for this hardware.

It shouldn't be a wild claim to say that for the money these NAD are a bargain. I've had a 7020i (3020 with tuner) which was quite nice, but beaten by a Proton 520, which is a 1990's "audiophile clone" of the budget classic 3020. The 3120 is also said to be an upgrade, and they usually fetch more than the 3020/7020. IIRC, the best sounding version of 3020 is 3020b, which incidentally shares the 3120's slightly higher W output.

I paid the equiv of $55 for the 7020i, and $75 for the Proton 520. The NAD's treble was smooth but I also think it was rolled off. If the source is good, I appreciate the bite of the Proton and for the price it was IMO an even greater bargain.

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 3
If you're looking for a decent preamplifier I'd look more for a used 80's vintage Aragon, Tandberg, or at least a Hafler or Adcom (nothing lower than the 555), or maybe an Apt Holman. Any of these destroys the preamplifier section of a 3020, of course any of these sold for at least twice what the 3020 sold for. Now on the used market they're all bargains.

You'd probably have better luck posting on the Asylum or the Gon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back