NAD D1050 DAC USB dropouts
May 14, 2015 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nicholars

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

I have a NAD D1050, I am happy with the sound and have it connected via USB, my PC has a Haswell 4690k CPU which I think has the USB controllers on the CPU ... so when i read guides saying "putasync DAC on seperate USB hub" I am not sure this applies...

My problem is that approx once every 3 hours the DAC will disconnect and reconnect for a second, and make the clicking noise of the relay as it disconnects and reconnects to the signal. This can be annoying for example when playing a game it will disconnect and then will not "lock" back onto the signal and I have to restart the game to get audio back... Also when listening on foobar approx once every 3 hours it will disconnect and reconnect and say "unrecoverable playback error" in foobar.

I think these are called "USB dropouts" but I cannot find any way to fix it on my PC, I have tried various USB ports and settings... Can anyone help me? I also have a high quality QED USB cable and have tried another so it is not that, thanks.

Sep 24, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 8

UntilThen

Headphoneus Supremus
This review will tell you it's a design of the NAD D1050. It has nothing to do with your USB dropouts.
http://www.goodsound.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/538-nad-d-1050-digital-to-analog-converter

Connected to its power supply, the D 1050 draws about 7W when active, and less than 0.5W in standby (though my Kill a Watt registered no use of power in standby). To reduce power consumption, the D 1050 automatically switches itself off after about 30 minutes of not receiving a signal, but doesn’t turn itself back on when sent a digital signal. To turn it on, you need to press a button on the top panel; this can be hard to find by touch on the smooth surface, and I found that the touch point was not quite aligned with the illuminated marking. While this won’t be a problem when the D 1050 is used on a desktop, it could be annoying if it’s placed in a rack. Better would be a low-power mode that switched to full power when it detected a signal, or at least a remote control. (According to NAD, since the D 1050 has an IR remote sensor, its automatic standby mode can be defeated by the dealer using one of NAD's IR remote controls.)

Sep 24, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #4 of 8

UntilThen

Headphoneus Supremus
When changing and locking to a sample rate, the D 1050 makes a sharp click, and displays the new sample rate on the front panel. Greg Stidsen, NAD’s director of technology and product planning explained: “NAD uses a reed relay to keep the output impedance extremely low, a very desirable feature and one that costs significantly more to implement than the simple CMOS switches commonly used. The soft clicking sound from the reed relay comes from the D 1050 itself and is not heard on the signal output, which is always silent if there is no signal present.” I noticed that, when sent the less common sample rates of 88.2 or 176.4kHz, the D 1050 displayed them as, respectively, 96 and 192kHz. Stidsen explained: “The D 1050 does not do any upsampling or downsampling; all bitstreams are maintained in a bit-perfect state. Not including the 88.2/176.4 indication is because of a space limitation on the display. In fact, there are even separate clocks for the 44.1/88.2/176.4 sample rates and the 48/96/192 sample rates, to provide the lowest possible jitter by avoiding frequency transpositions.” A dump of the USB device information (cat /proc/asound/card*/stream0 > log.txt) while playing music supported this explanation.

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #5 of 8

nicholars

Headphoneus Supremus
Thanks for the reply, but that's not the problem, I worked out what the problem is, it's when the fridge compressor turns off, it causes a power fluctuation which the dac does not like so it will disconnect and reconnect, none of my other electronics do this, just the dac, I am guessing it is more sensitive to power fluctuations than PC, TV etc.

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 8

UntilThen

Headphoneus Supremus
hahaha interesting. getting my NA D1050 on the 12th Oct really looking forward to it.

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 8

UntilThen

Headphoneus Supremus
Maybe get the electrician to come in to do something about the power point line where the fridge is located. :) Yes I have read good things about the NAD D1050.

Users who are viewing this thread